Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Stress of Financial Insecurity

Most people reading my blog know that I have been in the job hunt for several years now. I've been fortunate enough to live with my parents while I pursue a full-time position. Piecing together several part-time positions has allowed me to pay the bills (most of the time) while doing the work that I love. Still, I have become an expert on the stress that comes from financial insecurity.

One of the most trying aspects for those in my circumstance is the constant uncertainty. Part-time positions can change without warning. Income that was essential to your survival can be severely slashed -- or completely wiped out -- and there is nothing you can do about it. Since there is no job security for the part-timer, there is the constant pressure to accept every opportunity to earn a little income that comes your way. Sometimes these "jobs" add to the stress. Because the employer knows you are desperate, they also know that you will work for much less than you deserve. This results in your hard work being under-compensated and leads to abusive working environments that you must endure because your checkbook demands it.

As the challenges of financial uncertainty continue, everything becomes a major hurdle in life. Sickness -- even something as simple as a sinus infection -- can send the monthly budget into a tailspin. A major illness will often be ignored because we don't want to deal with the stress of figuring out how we will pay for the treatment. Let's not even begin to think about issues related to car or house repairs. A broken appliance or a brake replacement requires significant sacrifice. The only problem is that sacrifices are already being made in other areas. The next cut will have to come from an area that is truly a necessity. "Have you ever tried to get blood out of a turnip?"

If the financial struggle lingers, it becomes easy to find yourself in self-doubt. What's wrong with me that I can't get a job? Am I wrong to pursue my dreams? At what point do I give up my dream and settle for a desk job as a pencil pusher? Will this ever end? Will I ever know what stability and self-reliance is? It's easy to see that people in similar situations can easily find themselves spiraling into the depths of depression because of the apparent hopelessness of their situation. (While I don't consider myself currently depressed, I have dealt with the disease in the past and am constantly on alert for its reappearance in my life.)

Thankfully, the situation is not entirely hopeless. I don't know when I'll find a job that gives me security. I don't know what the future will demand in regards to my career choice. In spite of everything I don't know about my financial situation, I do know this one thing -- my Heavenly Father cares for me and has promised to take care of my needs. I may not see how my needs are going to be met and I may not understand why I have to face this challenging time, but I know that He can be trusted to keep His promises. Right now, the only thing I have is to base my hope solidly on these words of Jesus:
Don't worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Isn't life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the sky: they don't sow or reap or gather into barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Aren't you worth more than they? Can any of you add a single cubit to his height by worrying? . . . . But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you. Therefore don't worry about tomorrow... (Matthew 6:25-27; 33-34, HCSB)
So here I am.....trusting and waiting.....
~Kennith

No comments:

Post a Comment