Monday, March 9, 2015

Hits and Misses (March 1-7)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • The beginning of the week was quite good for me as a pianist. On Monday, I played the read through for Into the Woods and didn't die! It's a show I've loved for a long time and I'm thankful that I'm getting the opportunity to play it again. On Tuesday evening, the first voice recital of the semester went really well. I was happy with my playing and look forward to reviewing the recording in a few weeks. (That's not normally something I do, but I have to update my recordings for job applications.)
  • One of the highlights of the week came as a result of a phone conversation with a family member in Michigan. This teen that I've not actually met in person is the daughter of one of my cousins. We've spoken by phone a couple of times to offer some help with school work. I'm always pleased with how well-mannered she is.....a quality that I don't often see in many students her age. It's a joy to help her.......and I'm looking forward to making a trip north to reconnect with family I haven't seen in far too long.
  • It's that season again......GIRL SCOUT COOKIES ARE HERE! I limited myself to one box of Tagalongs this year. That box is nearly gone (after a brief 2 days in the kitchen) and I am already having withdrawals. If these cookies were available year round, I'm certain that I would be a much poorer man than I am.
  • I continue to enjoy watching my piano students progress. A few of them have finally made the connection that consistent practice will lead to tangible results. Even if it doesn't last forever, that's a victory I will gladly take.
MISSES
  • I'm sick of winter weather! Jack Frost needs to take a hike back to the North Pole and leave Arkansas until at least December. I'm definitely suffering from a bad case of cabin fever.
  • It always catches me by surprise just how sore my body is the morning after a recital. This week's program was demanding and took its toll. I forgot to take it easy this weekend and tweaked my back when grabbing an upright piano to move. I'm sure the piano didn't end up in the position that was hoped for.....but at that moment, I really didn't care where it was....it was staying in the middle of the room.
  • Passive-aggressive behavior really doesn't go over very well with me. If you need me to do something, don't leave me a note implying a change is needed.....especially when you're asking me to do something that PROBABLY falls under your job responsibilities! Even if I "comply," you won't like the results and will get the message pretty quickly. (See? Passive-aggressive behavior works both ways.)
  • I was told on Tuesday that a parent wanted to reserve a space in my teaching schedule on Saturday. I approved the slot (since it would result in a gap in my day) and moved things a bit to accommodate the new lesson. Imagine my feelings when this flaky parent failed to show up at the agreed time and had not registered for the slot. Lesson learned......I won't be holding slots for you any more until money is in hand. If you wait too long and I've scheduled other commitments, that will just be too bad.
PROGRESS REPORT
  • Crazyladies - p. 300 of 367 (129 pages this week)
  • Cole Porter - p. 150 or 397 (6 pages this week)
  • I know I have to get back to the biography, but I need to finish the novel quickly so I can get started on March's book that Jacqs and I are reading together:  Carthage by Joyce Carol Oates.

No comments:

Post a Comment