Monday, March 2, 2015

Hits and Misses (February 22-28)

Here's a look back at the week that was...

HITS
  • The week got off to a great start when I heard from a voice from the past. I got a text message from a college friend who I've not been in touch with since he left Malibu. It was great to catch up quickly (since that is all our busy lives will allow at the moment) and to re-establish contact. Modern technology is great!
  • Monday's musical rehearsal for the upcoming production of Into the Woods was a lot of fun. There's nothing quite as enjoyable as laughing with other artists while getting some work done. I'm hoping that our first read-through this evening is just as enjoyable.
  • I was happy to accept another playing opportunity to pad my checking account. I'll be playing auditions for the American Musical and Dramatic Academy's auditions in Memphis next weekend. I always love getting back to my roots with musical theater as often as I can.
  • After wrestling with "L'hiver a cesse" from La bonne chanson most of the week, I'm glad to report that I have finally conquered my Faure and that I'm actually looking forward to getting to perform the piece on March 3.
  • The week came to an end with some really good piano lessons with my students. As a teacher, I love seeing the joy on my students' faces when they begin to see things coming together and start to enjoy the process of making music. I never really thought I would enjoy teaching private students, but I'm finding that I like it a lot....and I'm actually pretty good at it.
MISSES
  • It's never fun to get answers that I wasn't hoping for. It's a fact of life, but I still don't have to like it.
  • Because of last week's inclement weather, it was a really busy week, but wasn't entirely productive. I spent lots of time waiting for lessons and rehearsals.....but it wasn't enough time to devote to other tasks that needed to be done. 
  • I'm glad we didn't get more icy weather this week, but I was a little disappointed that we missed the actual snow here at home that others saw just south of Memphis. I didn't need another day without school, but I would have liked to have seen the fluffy white stuff.
  • Now that the busy week is over, my body is feeling the effects. Put simply, I'm exhausted! Here's hoping this week returns to a somewhat normal routine.

PROGRESS REPORT
With all of the craziness of the week, I didn't get much reading done.
  • Crazyladies of Pearl Street - p. 171 of 367 (69 pages this week)
  • Cole Porter - p. 144 of 397 (26 pages this week)
  • This week, Jacqs and I will begin our March selection in our reading challenge. March is my month to make the selection....so stay tuned to find out what we've decided to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment