Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Friday Night Lights

I was introduced to Friday Night Lights late last year. I had seen the movie, but I failed to watch the television series because I made the false assumption that it was mainly about football....and since I'm not a fan of the game, I thought I would pass. During a season of boredom (which do occur occasionally!), I noticed that the show featured Connie Britton, one of my favorite actresses, so I decided to take a chance and start the series on Netflix. I quickly discovered that this series (which aired from 2006-2011) was about much more than just football.

  • It's all about family and the power of community! At the heart of the show are the struggles and triumphs of Eric Taylor and his young family who find themselves in a small Texas town that is crazy about football. The theme is further explored through broken families, families of various races, and the idea that a team and community can become a family when they pursue a common goal.
  • Adversity is an obvious issue for a sports team. As players learned to deal with the challenges on the field, the series showed how these same principles applied to their daily lives. Coach Taylor became a man highly respected by his players who was often sought out for his advice.
  • Pride is a powerful motivator! As the Dillon Panthers get their first taste of victory in a long time, the pride they experience motivates them to work harder to achieve greater success. 
  • The expectations of others do not have to limit us! No one expected the team to compete for the Texas State Championship. If the young men had listened to the opinions of others, they would have never achieved anything. Instead, Coach Taylor instills in them a concept that will become the battle cry repeated throughout the entire series: "Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose."
 Whether you are a football fan or not, I encourage you to take a chance and watch the first season of Friday Night Lights. You will be inspired, encouraged, and challenged to pursue your dreams regardless of the obstacles you face. I think this would be a great show for parents to watch with their pre-teens and teens as it would provide opportunities for powerful discussions about life's challenges in a family-friendly setting.

Friday Night Lights is available on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment