Monday, August 8, 2016

Hits and Misses (July 31 - August 6)


Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • I made it back to west Texas safely this week. The driving was smooth. The car behaved. There were no near collisions. After the many dangerous driving experiences this summer, I've become much more thankful for the uneventful drives.
  • Before heading back to Texas, I was able to catch up with a dear friend and colleague, Sabrina Warren. It was lovely to sit in a quiet corner of Panera and laugh and talk with this wonderful soprano. I enjoyed hearing about her recent travels, the progress she is making on her dissertation (which I can't wait to hear more about -- incredibly interesting!), and how her students are progressing.
  • When I arrived in Plainview on Thursday, I was just expecting a normal night of settling in. I was thrilled to be reminded that Thursday nights mean donut runs here in the music department! The crew was smaller than normal, but it was so refreshing to sit with students and colleagues once again. I think I'm finally getting ready for the semester to get back into full swing.
  • On Friday night, I ventured to Lubbock to see a production of Carousel. The performance was good. The setting was lovely; I had low expectations since the show would be presented in an outdoor amphitheater. I was pleasantly surprised. Throughout the evening, my mind wandered back to my own experience with this classic musical as a 16-year-old pianist. That's when I was first bit by the theater bug and when I began to dream that I could make a career as a pianist. That's why Carousel will always hold a special place in my heart.
MISSES
  • I hate packing! Whether it's a short trip or a major move, I despise trying to gather everything I'll need. I think it's worse for me when I know that if I leave anything behind, it will be very inconvenient for me to get it back for a few months. Sure....things could be mailed if needed, but that's just not an ideal situation. After all, we all know that I tend to be a worry-wart anyway.
  • I didn't get to leave Arkansas as originally planned because of continued issues with my blood pressure. It wasn't a big deal since I still made it into town in plenty of time to fulfill my commitments and get the car registered. I just don't like last minute changes to my schedule. If I've been able to plan for it, the change doesn't seem to be as jarring to my system. I'm a creature of habit.
  • You would think that leaving my childhood home would get easier over time. After all, I've been living on my own for a year and regular telephone calls keep me connected with home. Still, saying goodbye to the Geriatrics is never easy. Maybe it's because I know they are getting older and that our time together is limited. Perhaps I'm still just a big baby! Honestly, I think the truest statement I can make about the situation is that over the years -- despite the frustrating times -- they have become my best friends. When they're not around, a part of my heart is incomplete. Okay...time to shove this topic back to the back recesses of my mind again.....it's still a little too fresh to deal with at the moment.
  • Facebook has been frustrating this week. For some reason, my blog posts are not appearing on my wall. Everything is working fine in Twitter, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. I'll try to get that figured out this week before things get too hectic here in the office.
  • It's HOT! Wow! I don't want to move at all because of the heat. It took several hours for the AC in my apartment to catch up with the heat -- even though I had left the thermostat on 76 while I was away. So I'm spending a lot of my days at the moment in the library, local restaurants, and my office to stay cool. While driving into town, I learned that the AC was out in my office as well. Thankfully, that hasn't been too terribly bad as long as I keep the door opened and let the air from the hall keep things bearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment