Friday, August 12, 2016

Alone at Last!

The apartment is quiet. It's just me and the television on most days. That's quite a change from the hubbub of the Geriatric Ward for the past three months. It has taken some getting used to, but I think I'm finally getting used to the idea of being alone again....and actually coming to enjoy it.

I'm a self-proclaimed introvert. I don't mind being with people and can be a social person when necessary, but I do enjoy being by myself much of the time. I enjoy the quiet. It gives me time to think and to slow down from the normal hectic pace. I don't have to worry about anyone else's preferences or schedules. I can lie on the couch and watch anything I want on television...or I can click the boob tube off and curl up with my latest novel. It's much easier to close my eyes and meditate when no one else is going to traipse through the room. Dinner plans are never open for discussion; I can eat what I want when I want and no one else can possibly complain.

I will tell you that I wish my parents were here with me. I miss their laughter and energy -- most of the time. But for this season of my life, that's not what is in the cards for me, so I'll just continue to learn to be content in this situation and continue looking for things to enjoy about being alone at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment