Monday, August 22, 2016

Hits and Misses (August 14-20)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • Students began arriving on the Plainview campus throughout the week. The first wave in my world arrived on Sunday afternoon as Band Camp began. That evening, I got to join the students for a night of bowling. I had a blast....and I actually managed to bowl better than I had anticipated. My back was a little sore the next morning, but it was definitely worth it.
  • To add to the fun, I've gotten to share several meals with students and colleagues this week. What's even better? It was free food! I enjoyed the laughter and fellowship as everyone is getting ready for the start of classes in just a few days.
  • The highlight of the week was a moment of affirmation that came to the music faculty during one of our meetings. I think we were all overwhelmed by the emotional expression of gratitude that we witnessed and were humbled to think that our efforts were making such an impact in the life of the student who shared his heart with us. Throughout the remainder of our meetings, we repeatedly referenced the testimony we had heard and drew strength from it. It was a moment in my professional life that I will never forget.
MISSES
  • It has been a long week of meetings as I participated in professional development workshops. Thankfully I didn't have as many meetings as I did last year in new faculty orientation, but processing so much information in such a short span of time is quite tiring. The first soundings of the morning alarm clock wasn't a welcome addition either. It's just another sign that things will begin hopping again very soon.  As the weekend arrived, I was feeling the drain in my body and just did not feeling well at all. I'm hoping that a few days of rest will return me to normal once again.
  • A case of miscommunication became evident early in the week. It was stressful as both parties tried to figure out what had happened and how we could resolve the situation without too much fallout. Things didn't turn out as either of us had expected, but God in His wisdom knew exactly what needed to happen. Not only was the issue created by the miscommunication resolved, but another need was met in the process! I didn't enjoy the uncomfortable situation at the beginning of the week, but I just had to smile in appreciation and worship as I watched circumstances get worked out for the good of everyone involved.
  • I've been experiencing an abnormal number of leg cramps this week. I think it's because my water consumption was greatly reduced during all of the meetings.....and the lack of walking wasn't helping things either. Here's hoping that things begin to return to normal very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment