Monday, June 6, 2016

Hits and Misses (May 29-June 4)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....


HITS
  • It has been a great week with the Geriatrics. While I was recovering, it was tough to find opportunities to really connect with them. That began to change this week. Things started on Sunday evening as Mom and I headed to the kitchen together. We made chicken and dumplins...and lots of time to talk. On Tuesday night, I got to enjoy watching America's Got Talent with my parents. While I tend to avoid watching this show, I enjoyed hearing their laughter and sitting under a blanket with Mom with our heads covered during some of the "gross" acts. When the weekend rolled around, the Junior Geriatrics (yeah, I think that title may stick!) headed to the Ozarks, so the Geriatrics and I enjoyed a lazy Saturday around the house. We finally changed out of our pj's late that afternoon just in time to make a trip to Cracker Barrel for dinner. All in all, it's been one of my favorite weeks since I've been home for summer.
  • Mom made her famous Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake this week. Even though it was a little richer than I personally like -- she used a chocolate cake mix instead of her usual yellow -- it was a welcome comfort food.
  • It will come as a surprise to those who know me that I enjoyed meeting new people this week. Strangers in the store introduced themselves and made conversation. A pianist I met a few years ago through an online forum was passing through town and we met for "coffee." I naturally shy away from these types of meetings, but these interactions were actually fun. I might be coming out of my introverted shell after all!
  • While the Junior Geriatrics were out of town, the Geriatrics returned to their usual bed (that's a long story that I won't bore you with). This just means that I got to sleep in my normal bed! What Heavenly rest! Of course, I had committed to attending church with my parents the next morning, so I had to roll out of bed the next morning.....and I wasn't happy about it. Since I hadn't been in church since I left Plainview, I thought it was probably the right thing to do.
MISSES
  • Even though I wasn't in church with them last Sunday, I was frustrated to hear of the return of Douchebag. I know, I know, I know. I don't need a lecture on forgiveness or "getting over it." I'm also going to be good and not go off on the *%% here. Being in Texas for the past year meant I never had to worry about an "accidental" encounter with the loser. I had forgotten just how nice that actually is.
  • Along the same line, I had to encounter some hurts that just won't heal in my own life this week. It's not the result of a grudge on my part. Honestly, I rarely think about it. But just like it stings a little when a physical scar is hit just right, things can happen that can cause the heart and mind to ache. Some were deeper pains than others. Some have gotten tremendously better with the passage of time. Others are so deep and such a part of my story that I don't know that the hurt will ever go away entirely. I'm okay, but the early part of the week was rather rough.
  • I laughed as I watched the small town rumor mill starting to spin more lies this week. The fabricated stories were basically harmless, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But it was a reminder of how nice it is to no longer be living in a town so small that "everybody knows your name"...and your business!

No comments:

Post a Comment