Monday, June 20, 2016

Hits and Misses (June 12-18)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • The first thing on the agenda this week was a routine check-up with my cardiologist. With family history of cardiac issues as well as concerns from the recent accident (more on that below), this was an important appointment to keep. I was very pleased to get a good report as well as making some changes in my drug regime.
  • Throughout the week, I watched this year's Tony Award broadcast in bits and pieces. Like everyone else, I wasn't terribly surprised to see Hamilton walk away with everything. What really excited me though were the other really interesting shows that appeared on Broadway this season. I'm planning to check out the music from the Steve Martin show a lot more closely in the near future.
  • On Wednesday afternoon, I made my way to AGM to visit with Robbie and Kathy. Not only were they my pastors and bosses for many years, they became close friends. It was good to sit with them and laugh together once again. I doubt that will be the only visit to see them I make while I'm home for the summer.
  • I got my car back!!! No explanation is needed.
  • To end the week, I got to participate in the wedding of Meg Earney and Burke Webb. The music was simple and didn't require a lot of preparation on my part, but I was still happy to be able to help this young woman who I had the pleasure of watching grow up in youth theater. Her parents were smiling from Heaven as she wed the love of her life, I am sure.

MISSES
  • The aches and pains in my neck and chest continued this week. Intellectually, I knew the problems were muscular as my body heals from last month's accident. Still, when your chest hurts, your brain begins to play nasty games with your well being.
  • My heart aches for those impacted by the tragedy in Orlando at the beginning of the week. Regardless of one's moral stance or political affiliation, it is important to remember that innocent lives were lost in Pulse in the wee hours of Sunday morning. The divisiveness I have heard throughout the week as well as the attempts to make this a political issue have made me sad. I just wanted to scream as I thought about the pain of those recovering in the hospitals as well as those who were facing the difficulty of dealing with the death of a loved one. Some things take priority over our personal opinions.
  • Tuesday night was frightening as I had one of the most severe allergy attacks I have ever experienced. I lost my breathe and was struggling to stay up. As I searched for an antihistamine, my wheezing became more severe and terrifying. I made my way outside and was able to clear my lungs with fresh air. While Mom and Patsy dashed away to get drugs for me, I was able to settle my breathing and heart rate. While reflecting on the episode, I recalled that there had been another years ago that was triggered by a lotion containing cocoa butter. Patsy had just returned from a tanning session and had cocoa butter on, so it looks as though that was the culprit. Rather than showering the lotion off -- to do so would have ruined the tan apparently -- she remained in her bedroom for the rest of the evening. I have not had another episode, but continue to deal with all of the excess phlegm my body produced to get rid of the offending allergen. It's been a rough week and I just haven't felt very good since it happened.
  • Once I learned that my car was ready to be picked up, I also learned that my insurance company had not cut the checks yet. I made a phone call and was rather hot under the collar. I yelled at the agent and asked why I bothered to pay monthly premiums that paid his salary if he was failing to do the job. After asking for the name of his supervisor in order to file a formal complaint, I suggested that the check be sent via overnight mail to the address I provided. That was on Thursday afternoon; on Friday morning, I received word from the repair shop that the check was in route and I could get my car. I'm not proud of the call, but I did what was necessary to get some long over due results. (I'm looking for recommendations for car insurance companies in Texas; Farm Bureau has been a complete disappointment and failure!)
  • It's never a good thing to have too many cooks in the kitchen. This can also be said of people attempting to coordinate weddings, guests in a home, and Indian chiefs. Wowzers!

No comments:

Post a Comment