Sunday, January 3, 2016

Hits and Misses (December 27 - January 2)

Happy New Year! Here's a look back at the week that was...

HITS

  • As things settled down after Christmas, it was very nice to meet a friend for lunch. We've known each other for nearly 20 years and have both experienced significant changes in our lives in the last half of 2015. Even though we've been separated by miles, it was nice to reconnect and begin catching up as though we had just seen each other last week. I know that having such close friendships is one of life's greatest blessings.
  • I was introduced to Memphis Barbeque Company this week. What amazing food! It was so good that I returned for another meal just a few days later. I suppose it's a good thing that I don't live closer or else I might have to take stock in the company to support my addiction.
  • Since we had so much to purchase for Christmas gifts when I finally returned to Memphis, Mom and I decided to return to the mall this week to purchase my Christmas gifts. I never have to worry about updating my wardrobe. Mom has spoiled me and takes care of my closet every year as her Christmas gift to me. Even though you might not be able to tell it by looking at me, I really do enjoy shopping for clothes. It's so much fun!
  • New Year's Eve was quite nice. I enjoyed a quiet evening at home, curled up on the couch reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix before settling in for the annual gala of the New York Philharmonic broadcast on PBS. On the next day, the Geriatric patients and I feasted on chicken and dumplings accompanied by Buffalo Chicken dip. It was a strange combination, but both offerings were quite good.

MISSES

  • It's never exciting to realize that my time at home is coming to an end. Since I've spent nearly 3 weeks in Arkansas, I'm not excited to return to Texas. Don't misunderstand. I am ready to get back to my job and my church family. I just wish I could take the comforts of home -- and the security of family -- with me.
  • I have to admit that New Year's Day was a bit of a let down. For various reasons, my siblings and their families weren't in Arkansas for lunch. I know the reasons and understand....but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I had so little time at home and wanted to spend every possible moment surrounded by them. (Does that make me greedy?)
  • With all the changes in my life in 2015, I wasn't very successful in keeping my resolutions. That fact was upsetting to a degree and has caused me to pause before making new ones for 2016. Some goals remain and are already being pursued; others are under review. I plan to finalize my resolutions by the end of the week and anticipate sharing them in an upcoming post.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment