Thursday, January 21, 2016

Things That Never Go Away

We all have things in our past we would like to forget. Missteps. Poor choices. Fashion blunders. If you're like me, you also have friends to make sure that your past never truly goes away.

While at Pepperdine, I was beginning to dress like a young professional. But I didn't want to fall into the boring realm of only wearing white and blue oxfords. I like wearing vivid colors. They make me happy.....and I am really a happy guy!

On a certain shopping trip -- I honestly don't remember the details -- I decided to be a little more adventurous than normal and bought a "dusty rose" shirt. I must place that term in quotation marks because my housemates quickly informed me the color was more appropriately described as "pink." My conservative Southern roots at the time could not come to grips with the idea that a man could wear pink and maintain his manhood. I tried passing it off as "peach" -- but that didn't work since it hung near another shirt in my wardrobe that could only be described as the color of the fuzzy Georgia fruit. So...the harassment began because of my pink shirt.

It has been many years since that questionable shirt has hung in my closet -- although I am certain you could find other offending items there now. The harassment never ends. Like clockwork, my college friend will frequently make mention of THE shirt in our conversations. I still attempt to educate her on the fine line that exists between "rose" and "pink." My efforts fall on deaf ears and I find myself once again reliving the misguided mistake of my youth that seems to be destined to follow me for the rest of my life.

And the taunting reminds me that I am loved...and I wouldn't have it any other way!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment