Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2015 - The Year in Review

It has become a tradition here at Livin' Life to close each year with a series of posts to explore what happened in the past year. I am late with these posts this year -- that seems to be appropriate for my 2015 -- so I'm providing abbreviated summaries of each area in a single post. Hopefully it will be interesting to some of you faithful readers.

Professional Life - 2015 began with the continuation of work at Mid-South Community College, Union University, and Bartlett Music Academy. My work situation changed drastically in July when I accepted my current position at Wayland Baptist University. It's been a busy year of teaching and performing. I appeared in 7 student recitals in 2015 as well as teaching class piano, my private students (BMA), and developing a music camp for young pianists. I was involved in productions of Into the Woods (Union) and The Mikado (WBU) and got to accompany Union's Men's Chorus and Symphonic Band as well as Wayland Singers. Did I mention that I also provided prelude music before former First Lady Laura Bush spoke at Convocation? All in all, it has been an exhilarating year musically.

Travel - Somehow I've managed to stay on the road this year. In addition to my regular trips to Lake Conroe, Texas and Malibu, 2015 allowed me the opportunity to visit Little Rock, Albuquerque, and Oklahoma City. Now that I'm living in west Texas, I've also enjoyed exploring Plainview, Lubbock, and Amarillo.

Resolutions Kept and Broken - I wish I had better results to report. I made 7 resolutions in January; only 2 of them were successfully met. I'm happy to say that I currently have a growing savings account (although it's not as robust as I would have liked) and I increased my personal reading by 2 books in 2015 -- finishing 23 books by the end of the year. What was left undone? I have not lost weight (and have gained several pounds in my new living situation). My listening project related to orchestral repertoire died quickly in the new year as did my attempt to read through the Bible in 2015. I didn't perform a solo recital, although I did perform on my studio recital and performed a mini-recital when auditioning at WBU. Finally, I did not become involved in a small group Bible study, but have found a support group in my church music department.

The Year in Blogging - I suppose no blogger is truly ever satisfied with the quality and consistency of their posts. Beginning the new job and settling in a new town put quite a damper on my posting. I'll just let the numbers speak for themselves:

  • Livin' Life - 95 posts (43 of these were weekly installments of the Hits and Misses series)
  • Collaborations - 17 posts
  • Reading for Me - 23 posts. (Four of these posts relate to my reading of the Harry Potter series which I plan to finish in 2016. Additionally the Reading with Jacqs series met a slight road block -- an incredibly cute and very loved one -- with the arrival of Jack-Jack in August. It's amazing the impact sleepless nights with a crying baby has on a mother's desire to read!)
  • Christmas Celebration - This was the first year for the Carol videos. They weren't housed on any of the blogs, but they definitely were a part of my online voice and presence.

That's a brief look at 2015 in my world. I hope you all are able to take a few minutes to reflect on your year as you look forward to the excitement and adventure that awaits you in 2016! I'll talk to you again in the new year....

 

~Kennith

No comments:

Post a Comment