Friday, August 9, 2013

The Continuing Adventures of the Geriatric Ward

Living with senior citizens is always an adventure. There are moments of intense humor, challenging emotions, and undeniable love. Depending on the day, it is my pleasure or curse to live in my parents' home. Thankfully the good days outnumber the bad and most days are sprinkled with things we can all laugh about.

This week's adventure involved counting. While sitting in the living room, I overheard my parents discussing some missing capsules from a recently filled prescription. At first I thought we were talking about one or two pills and shook my head as I acknowledged their thriftiness. When I stepped into the kitchen, I saw Dad furiously "ciphering" and concluding that the pharmacy had failed to include over 50 doses of medicine.

Mom continued to look at the bottle and exclaimed that the pharmacist must have known that they had not filled the entire prescription since "2/3" was written on the label. I started to ask a few questions and learned that the medicine was picked up last week and was to be a three month supply. That's 90 pills! Even the most incompetent pharmacy tech would notice the absence of over 50 pills. I decided to dig a little deeper. When I asked if she had gotten any other meds on that trip, Mom excitedly told me that she was given two additional bottles of the same medicine. When I looked at the bottles, I could barely control my laughter. The other containers were labeled "1/3" and "3/3"! When was the last time you tried to explain to your parent that something was broken up into three parts for ease of packaging? When she asked if it mattered that she was taking the medicine in bottle #2 first, I nearly died!

The funny part? This wasn't an uncommon occurrence! It's just another example of my daily life in the geriatric ward.....and I'm having a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment