Friday, August 23, 2013

When Answers Don't Come

Have you ever found yourself wondering why situations don't change despite your repeated prayers? Whether you are seeking God's face for the healing of a loved one, deliverance from an oppression, or new employment, our faith can take a beating as we attempt to press forward in our prayer life when God appears silent. For some, this situation has been the reason they cease to practice prayer while others declare that God can't possibly exist if He allows situations to continue unchanged.

As I am personally investigating prayer right now, I have to admit that unanswered prayers have caused me to struggle in my own prayer life. I simply couldn't come to terms with WHY God would allow situations to remain the same. (After all, I was certain that the change I was praying for was the best outcome for my life.) As part of my study, I am reading Prayer: Does It Make a Difference? by Philip Yancey. Here's a powerful portion of what he has to say about unanswered prayers:

I will always remember an alcoholic friend who expressed to me his frustration at praying daily for God to remove his desire for drink, only to find each morning his thoughts turning to Jack Daniel's whiskey. Was God even listening? Later, it dawned on him that the desire for alcohol was the main reason he prayed so diligently. Persistent temptation had compelled persistent prayer.
. . . . .
. . .God views my persistence as a sign of genuine desire for change, the one prerequisite for spiritual growth. When I really want something, I strive and persist. Whether it's climbing Colorado's mountains, chasing the woodpeckers away from my roof, or getting a high-speed Internet connection for my home, I'll do whatever it takes. Do I show the same spirit in prayer? (Yancey, 150-151)
That puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Do I truly want to see circumstances change enough that I will persistently and passionately pray about it with confidence that God will listen? As I bombard Heaven with my petitions, one of two things is going to happen....either the situation will change or I will be changed as I come into the presence of a Holy God.

I'm ready to find a quiet place and talk some things over with my Father. Are you ready to join me?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment