Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Touching Heaven, Changing Earth

Within the heart of every person is the desire to communicate with someone greater than themselves. For the Christian, prayer is talking to God just as we would talk to our best friend. While most Christians know this truth intellectually, I think that most find some level of struggle in this area. We wonder why the God of the universe would want to listen to a mere speck. In moments of doubt, we question if our prayers are actually heard......and if there is a hope that they will be answered. Can our prayers influence events and release God's power in our lives and those around us?

I was raised in a loving Christian home and was taught the basic principles of prayer. I've often prayed publicly before classes and during times of worship. When illness hits my family, I talk to God about it. Still, I find myself longing for a more powerful prayer life. I want to know that my prayers move Heaven and have confidence that they are effective. I want to be a prayer warrior. The only question is "How?"

As I was reading The Trial by Robert Whitlow, I was entertained by the novel's plot. I was mesmerized, however, by the powerful prayer scenes woven throughout the story. A group of women gather for a weekly prayer meeting in the local Presbyterian church. Though the group's members have changed over the years, the prayer group has met for decades and have kept records of the prayers lifted to Heaven and the faithfulness of God to answer.

As the novel reaches its climax, the women gather again for prayer. After reading a portion of Isaiah 62, the women are reminded of their role as prayer warriors over their community. Whitlow describes what happens like this:
They became quiet and waited. A heavy stillness settled in the room, a time when heaven held its breath in anticipation.
Then the divine wind came. There were no visible tongues of fire resting on their heads, but the manifestation of the Holy Spirit was immediate and intense. Like ripe stalks of wheat before a coming storm, the women bowed down and began to pray aloud with passion and zeal. Spirit-inspired phrases and Scripture passages rolled out of their hearts and through their lips in a gushing river of intercession. "Expose the deeds of darkness, loose the chains of injustice, break the bands of the oppressor, proclaim freedom to the captives, cast down the accuser, establish truth and integrity, save the perishing, shine forth the light, reveal your glory." There were ebbs and flows, tears and sighs, but for more than an hour one after another would come to the head of the column and push forward the advance until yielding to the next in line.
When Naomi said, "In the strong name of Jesus Christ, amen," they sat back in their chairs and looked at one another in amazement.
"That was different," Kelli said.
"That was a prayer meeting," Naomi responded. (Robert Whitlow, The Trial, 264)
This was no ordinary, run-of-the-mill time of prayer. This was Spirit-directed prayer that specifically addressed the issues that concerned the Heavenly Father. THAT'S the type of prayer I want to learn. That type of prayer will totally transform our lives, resurrect our churches, and display the power of Jesus Christ to a desperate world.

I don't have the answers, but I know the One who is the Answer. I'm pursuing Him and adding my voice to those of the disciples who asked, "Lord, teach us to pray." (Luke 11:1, NIV)
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment