Monday, August 26, 2013

Hits and Misses (August 18-24)

The first week of the semester always feels the busiest to me. At this point, I'm just glad that I survived. Here's the week in review.

HITS
  • The week kicked off by attending a wonderful worship service at Hope Baptist with my family. Such an encouraging word about the work of the Holy Spirit taken from John 17. The sermon was delivered clearly and ministered to my soul. After church, it was great to feed my stomach some great food with my family as well. 
  • When the stress finally settled down, I really had a great time teaching class piano for the first time. There were definitely challenges associated with students not having textbooks and equipment issues, but the process of teaching these talented students has gotten off to a good start.
  • My Tuesday night class was cancelled and I couldn't be happier! I enjoy teaching night classes because the students are much more motivated and interested in the material. However, I find it terribly taxing to teach a class of only 3 or 4 students. Last semester, the course went ahead despite its low enrollment. This term, I was very clear with my supervisors that I would not be upset if the class didn't make. I'm looking forward to having my evenings entirely free (for the most part) for the first time in several years.
  • I was reminded this week of how wonderful it is to have truly supportive people working with me. I know I am blessed to work with people who are willing to provide administrative support that allows me to focus on my teaching. I am honored to serve under program chairs at both schools that tell me to create a class structure that best fits my teaching methods and enhances student learning. (This is a brand new experience for me.....and I truly appreciate the confidence they have in my ability.)
  • To end the week, my family traveled to Stuttgart, Arkansas to celebrate my Aunt Ola Mae Freeman's 80th birthday. It was great to see cousins that I haven't seen in way too long. (Even though I sat quietly with my family for much of the party nursing a rough headache, I'm glad I was part of the celebration.)
MISSES
  • Monday was a bit stressful since it was the first day of the new semester as well as the memorial service for my aunt, Catherine. After teaching classes, I made the 2.5 hour drive into central Arkansas for the thirty minute service, collected my parents, and drove straight home. I wouldn't have missed the services for anything in the world though. It was a fitting way to say goodbye to a special woman.
  • With the addition of the memorial service and the birthday party to this week's schedule, I have been a driving machine! Normally I enjoy my time on the road, but the extra 7 hours of traveling definitely took its toll. I'm planning to start the new week with some much needed rest.
  • I've heard several explanations about why situations aren't better. I find myself laughing inside when I hear the excuses that they could be improved....but there is no reason to make things better since OTHER PEOPLE aren't going to respect things. One excuse this week seemed to go on forever! What I wanted to say is that I think you are simply too lazy to address the problem since you have settled to work around the situation rather than making things the best they can be. When you start giving me a lot of excuses, I begin to lose a lot of respect for you and question if you are someone in whom I really want to invest my time.
  • Saturday classes are the pits! That is all I have to say....except that I'm still praying it will be cancelled.  With an enrollment of five (and only three bothering to show up for the first class), I'm still holding out hope! Now we just have to wait and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment