Friday, August 2, 2013

Listening....

Image - www.anglicanfrontiers.com
Sometimes it's easy to forget when blogging that people are actually reading what you're putting into cyberspace. I write about my life and experiences. I blog what is of interest to me at the moment. I make fun of myself and my family. I vent my frustrations and annoyances. I remind myself of important lessons that I've learned. In the past few weeks, I've had two reminders that others are reading these comments.

I have a professional blog, Collaborations, that I devote to all things related to music. I share stories about teaching music appreciation, performing, practicing, teaching, and church music issues. In early July, I posted a review of a new book about the music of the 18th century. The review was overall very positive. I mentioned that some of the theoretical discussions got in the way of my enjoyment of the study. Imagine my surprise while driving home from visiting family to receive an email from the book's author! The email was very short and kind; it also included suggested reading that might change my feelings about the theories I found confusing. I was thrilled. A notable figure in musicology had read my blog.....and I had said nothing extremely offensive! Whew! I replied to the email, thanking the author for his recommendations that I have added to my reading list. (Now I just need to find time to actually READ the books!)

Yesterday morning, I got another reminder. A woman from southern California posted a comment on my FaceBook fan page telling me how much she enjoyed reading my blog. She mentioned how refreshing it was to read about musical issues from a Christian perspective. I have never met this young woman although we share two mutual friends via FaceBook. There is no logical reason to explain our connection. At first, I was tempted to think the post was nothing more than spam. Then I compared her comments with the normal spam I deal with on the page. It was clear that she is a real visitor. Talk about an ego boost and a reminder that people are watching and reading! (See.....I really do read your comments and appreciate hearing from you!)

I enjoy blogging (which should be obvious by now) and strive to present thoughtful and inspiring material on a regular basis. I never want to present myself in any way that is not honest. I simply want to be myself. Sometimes that may come across as harsh or critical, but I hope that in everything I write my desire to be a godly man shines through.

Whether you are writing an email, a note to your children, or a blog, remember that someone is going to read your words and that they're listening to what you have to say. How will your words portray you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment