Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Avoided Tasks

We all face them everyday. Tasks that we know that we should complete. Things that will benefit us personally. They come in many forms.....repairs around the house, a healthier diet and exercise regiment, a consistent devotional life, professional development classes......but they all fall by the wayside because of the same obstacle. Life gets in the way.

I don't have time for that.

I'll do it later.

There are other urgent issues that need immediate attention.

We are so busy that we ignore the benefits that would come by doing what we know we should. Occasionally we finally decide to begin work on one of our tasks, but we find ourselves defeated before we even begin. The job is too big for us. The commitment required is too great. What do we do?

I'm finally taking on a couple of the tasks that I've been avoiding in my life for a while. Here's what I'm learning along the way that I hope will be helpful to you as you pursue your own avoided tasks.


  • Regularity is essential. I've got to consistently chop away at the task at hand in order to make progress. The easiest way I've found to insure regularity is to make it part of my schedule. The task is included on my daily to-do list and time is set aside. I make every effort to guard that time against interruption and accomplish the job. For me, the earlier in my day, the better. 
  • Perfection is not possible. Even though it's scheduled, there are days where I'm not going to make progress. That's okay! The key is to forgive yourself for your "failure", brush yourself off, and get back to it the following day.
  • Rome wasn't built in a day. Most of these avoided tasks are not going to be accomplished quickly. Realize it, accept it, and persevere. I've broken the task down into manageable chunks. That keeps me focused on the task immediately at hand and helps me avoid the inevitable sense of being overwhelmed.
  • Celebrate success! Whenever I hit a milestone in my task, it's time to celebrate. Organized a closet that's been neglected far too long? Reward yourself. Lost your first 10 pounds? PARTY! Celebration reminds us of what we have accomplished and assures us that we can continue on the journey.
  • Don't overload yourself. This was the hardest lesson for me to learn. I can't modify my environment, behavior, and career all at the same time. If I try to do that, I'm setting myself up for failure. (Trust me, I know this from personal experience.) Step back, look at the situation, and prayerfully ask for direction of what needs attention first. Begin working in that area. As you get a handle there and begin to establish a habit in your routine, then you're ready to add another task.
Whatever it is that you've been avoiding, knock out the voices that are telling you it's too difficult. Make a plan and get to work. After all, if you start and don't find success you've learned what doesn't work. Dust yourself off, examine the situation again, and make another attempt. If it's worth it to you, you will find success and finally achieve the thing you've been avoiding so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment