Friday, January 11, 2013

Here's to Hoping

The last day of winter break is here. The spring term begins on Monday. It's been a good break and I've gotten some much needed rest. Still, I find myself in an unexpected situation. I'm actually hoping that my night class doesn't make this term!

The night class runs on Tuesday and Thursday evenings 5:30-7:00 and currently has an enrollment of 4 students. As I recall, 8 students are required for the class to go forward. Why do I hope the class gets cancelled? There are a couple of reasons. First of all, I'm tired and the spring is going to be insanely busy! With the production of Noah's Flood at Union in a few weeks, I already know that I will be forced to miss 3 of my night classes -- a fact that is not going to thrill MSCC's administration. I have asked repeatedly that the section be returned to its original Monday evening schedule, but nothing has happened yet. As a performer, blocking out two nights each week makes scheduling interesting, especially when you consider that most of Union's performances occur on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings!

The other reason that I'm hoping for a semester off from this section is because I need the time. I'm managing all of my work load, but sometimes it gets to be a bit much. By the time the end of the term comes, I feel as though I'm meeting myself coming and going. Just a few months off from the crazy schedule would allow me to catch my breath, address some things in my own life that need my attention, and rest. The lost income will be unfortunate, but at the moment I think my sanity is worth the $1700 I'd miss. Plus, I've been contacted for a couple of short-term gigs that I would REALLY like to commit to this term. The only way that's possible is not having to teach the night class.

For the moment, I just keep watching and hoping. The last day to make changes to student schedules is Friday, January 18. I'll keep praying that students join the morning section (which is at a nice size) and trust that God is going to work everything out for my personal best this semester. He knows what I need.....I'll just trust Him! I'll keep you updated.

Here's to hoping, though......

No comments:

Post a Comment