Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

2013 has arrived. As usual, the whole clan gathered at my parents' home for food and fellowship. We decided to stick with the tradition we began a few years ago of departing from tradition for the lunch menu.  Today's lunch featured garlic crusted chicken, potato salad, slaw, English peas and fettuccine Alfredo.

There were a few things that were a bit different from normal. I wasn't found in the kitchen very much today as I am still recovering from my run in with Dad's desk chair last week. The swelling has gone down a lot and the bruising is looking much better, but I still can't put much pressure on my left foot. I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning to just make sure everything is healing as it should. (I had planned to see the doctor on Thursday of last week, but the office was closed for the week.  When I called on Monday morning, I was told I could either come in first thing on Wednesday or be worked into their busy appointment schedule. Since I wasn't in a ton of pain, I opted for a Wednesday appointment!)

What's ahead in 2013? Your guess is as good as mine! In keeping with my approach for the last few years, I'm using the entire week to formulate my resolutions. I like to have time to think and pray about them while making sure that the goals are realistic while not being too easy. I'm sure there will be something related to weight loss and another thing related to reading.  The thing that is really on my mind at the moment is coming up with a plan for regular times of rest. Since I'm not working a traditional job, I don't always get days off that are strictly for me. Most of the time, I have to leave home in order to get away from all the responsibilities. That's unhealthy and something that I have been convicted over personally. I've got to do something or I'm going to suffer incredible burnout soon. I don't know what the solution is -- and I know it's not going to be easy to work out -- but it's something that I am committing to do in 2013.  I'll be better for it if I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment