Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Planning a Trip to Nowhere

Summer is winding down and my life is calmer than it has been for quite some time.  I don't have any performances hanging over my head at the moment.  There are no CDs to record.  Summer school is over and I don't have the new textbook to make changes to the fall course.  Music camp is a faint memory, and piano lessons don't begin for another month at least.  It sounds like it's the perfect time for a mini-vacation.

I had planned to visit a friend in Jonesboro on Thursday night, but he now has a conflict.  That means that plans are changing.  Of course, your favorite pianist is also quite the traveler.  Give me a car and an open road and I will set out with the best of them.  Where am I going?  I don't know!  The only thing that's set in stone is that I'm leaving sometime on Thursday and will return home on Saturday in order to be here for Sunday morning services.  I don't have a destination in mind or even a direction.  For me, this is the ultimate version of spontaneity!

This is not the first time I've done this;  in fact, it's almost become sort of an annual ritual.  I look for a chance to get away and just set out.  My favorite memory of one of these explorations was the first one I took.  I made it up to St. Louis and decided to explore the city.  Sadly, no one told me that the Little League World Series was in town that October week, so there were NO ROOMS in the entire city.  I drove for several hours until I finally found a room.  By this point I decided that I would just head to Kansas City the next morning and start my adventure in a new location.

Somehow plans never work out for me.  I got up early the next morning and headed to KC -- and got there in an hour!  It was WAY too early to stop driving for the day and I didn't think there would be much to do there anyway, so I decided to head north a bit and see where I ended up.  Fast forward to the afternoon and you'll find me in Minneapolis, Minnesota!   Why?  Because I saw a sign for the Mall of America and thought, "Why not!"  I had a BLAST and came home so relaxed and refreshed, even though my body was exhausted.

I won't be going that far this time since I only have a couple of days, but I'm not making any plans.  I'll have my GPS with me so I can find my way home.  So....stay tuned to see where this adventure takes me!

No comments:

Post a Comment