Sunday, July 4, 2010

Freedom

I hope that you have all had a wonderful July 4th celebration with your friends and family. My family had a very low-key celebration together following the morning services. Sitting around the table and later laughing in my brother's home was a welcome change of pace for me.

While driving home, I began to think about the Founding Fathers of our nation and the words that were so eloquently penned in the Declaration of Independence. As I pondered their courage and their sacrifices, I realized a few things about freedom that I would like to share with you - first as I believe they relate to our nation, and then as they relate to our spiritual walk.

First, freedom begins with recognizing that bondage exists. In the Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson wrote of the many injustices enacted upon the colonists by the King of Great Britian. Jefferson goes on to point out that by enforcing these laws upon his subjects, King George III had the "direct object [of] the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states." The colonists' acknowledgement that another power was trying to dominate them against their will caused them to act with determination, courage, and fortitude.

Next, one most recognize their worth and right to be free. What has become the most famous line of the historic document clearly expresses this sentiment: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." This single statement contains so many fundamental truths--many, I fear, that a vast majority of Americans have failed to fully understand. Jefferson points out that equality is not a legal provision by a government's courts; rather it is a right handed down by the Divine Creator. The term "inalienable" simply means that they cannot be transferred to another. In other words, because I have been created by a loving God, I will never be subject to any human who tries to take my God-given liberty away from me without my consent....be they government, business, or relation.

Most importantly, freedom calls for decisive action. Our founding fathers could have simply pointed out the injustices they suffered and left it there. If they had, I suspect that I would continue to have high tea each afternoon and pay homage to the Queen Mother. Thankfully, those American patriots recognized their call to action. The members of the General Congress declared the independence of the united colonies from the British crown and took upon themselves the rights and responsibilities of a free state. Jefferson's closing to the Declaration of Independence states how committed these men were to insuring that their decision would be respected: "With a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." Essentially, these men affirmed that freedom was their greatest desire and that they would go to any length necessary in order to have it -- including the ultimate price of their very lives.

As I considered these three components of freedom, I realized that the same elements are necessary when declaring our liberty from any tyrant that is attempting to conquer us. My mind immediately went to the realms of relationships and spirituality. Before I can become free from anything that is oppressing me, I must first recognize that I am being oppressed! After I realize that the abuse is occurring, then it is necessary that I understand that I have the right to be free and that no demon or individual has the privilege or authority to keep me in that bondage! Then comes the call to action. This is the point where we must stand up against the tyrant and firmly declare that we will no longer tolerate the abuse and stand in the power of our convictions and the authority that the Christian has in Christ.

Sadly, many continue to play foolish games with their oppressors, allowing them to reclaim strongholds from which they have previously been delivered. This can be the result of low self-esteem, deception, or a personal desire to return to the bondage. Regardless of the reason, the result is always the same - BONDAGE....and often it comes in a much more powerful package.

I am thankful that I live in a free land with all the rights and responsibilities that go with it. I do, however, wish to see more people living in the land of the spiritually free. My prayer for each of you is that whatever keeps you from living a life of liberty to the fullest extent will lose its power and stronghold over you so that you can truly experience the life of FREEDOM!

Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment