Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Annoyance of the Day

I had an interesting situation occur in my class this morning that really ticked me off. I have calmed down considerably in the past 11 hours, so now I feel it is safe to blog about this event. Let me set the scene for you.

I am in the final stretch of the summer session of music appreciation (literally, there are 3 class sessions and the final exam remaining). Class begins at 11:10 every morning and runs until 12:35, although I normally get done with things around 12:20 or so. Because of the shortened summer term, I began lecturing on the final unit today and had forewarned the students that we would be moving through the material rather quickly.

At 12:15 today, I am very pleased with the progress we have made and am thinking about getting a jump on the next section to take a bit of the pressure off of tomorrow's lecture. Suddenly, the door at the rear of the lecture hall opens and in walks one of my students. A sensitive, courteous person would have the common sense to take the nearest seat and try to cause as little disruption as possible. But no -- this IDIOT walks all the way down to the front of the classroom, unloads all of her CRAP, and then proceeds to start talking to the girl next to her! At this point, I don't know if I should explode on her or laugh in her face. I have to give her credit though -- a move like that definitely required some courage.

Rather than moving forward, I decide that I'll make sure I send a very clear message. I advise the students to look over the notes from today's lecture and come to class tomorrow prepared to ask questions. Then I dismiss class for the day! What this girl does next takes the cake!

She comes to the front with her printouts of the PowerPoint slides and asks what we have covered in class today. I'm very short with her and give her the titles of the two slide shows that made up my lecture. She mentions wanting to get a copy of my notes; I simply turn away, pretending that I didn't hear her. She has better luck with a generous classmate and leaves the room to photocopy the Good Samaritan's notes. On the way out the door, she has the AUDACITY to sign the attendance roster for the day! REALLY?!?!?!?!?! Needless to say, Dr. Freeman did not take kindly to that and promptly made a note on the roster that she arrived at 12:15 for a class that dismissed at 12:20. I haven't heard anything from her yet regarding the absence that I have posted for her today, but I thoroughly expect that she will complain.

I'm kicking myself for not offering an open note quiz on the spot. I'm just hoping she doesn't show up to class tomorrow morning on time so I can reward those who actually attend my class.

This has not been my first encounter with this crazy woman either. I have had suspicions of her actions all semester long, but haven't been able to catch her red-handed in any of her deceitful behaviors. I have been giving her the benefit of the doubt (that was mistake number one), but she has shown her true colors. Let the gloves come off now.....it's now time for my alter ego, The Queen, to finally make an appearance.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kennith,

    How annoying! Just when you think you've seen all the variations of that stuff...

    In a chorus concert I played recently, one of the students checked his txt messages while walking onto the stage! Problem is, the audience was also students. No one noticed.

    Looking forward to an update from your alter ego...

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete