Saturday, July 17, 2010

At What Cost?

As part of my mental health day today, I spent some time catching up on a couple of DVD rentals that I've had for over a month now! One of those movies was Extraordinary Measures. This film tells the story of one father (Brendan Fraser) who will go to any length to find a cure for the terminal disease two of his young children have. Out of desperation to save their lives, the father risks his profession, reputation, and finances to follow the possibility that a rogue scientist (Harrison Ford) may have the solution that the kids so desperately need. In typical Hollywood fashion, the ending is happy and the children's disease comes under control.

I was moved by the movie; I have such a soft-spot for children in need. I walked away with a personal question that has left me a bit uneasy though. How much would I be willing to risk for those I love? Given seemingly hopeless odds, would I risk my future and livelihood in order to pursue a possible saving solution for them?

I don't have an answer. I would like to think that I would be self-sacrificing and put my family's needs above my personal wants, ambitions, and desires. The truthful answer, however, is that I just don't know if I can do that. I suppose that's part of the reason that striving to be more like Christ is a daily pursuit.

Do I love my family? Of course, I do. I would give them anything within my power to make their lives better. But that's the question......how far would I be willing to go beyond what is easy for me to do in an effort to make their lives better? Perhaps the question is too deep or too uncomfortable for some. I just find myself challenged by the words of Christ tonight: "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13, NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment