Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Simple Pleasures


Tonight, I had a craving that could not be satisfied. It has not been a bad day, so I wasn't experiencing stress. Still, I couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what it was that I was wanting. Finally, I came to the realization that I was desperate for Oreo Double Stuff cookies and a tall glass of milk. I must admit that the snack was wonderful (even though it was yet ANOTHER example of cheating on my diet)!


As I ate, I recalled how much I have enjoyed this treat throughout my life. I clearly remember coming home from elementary school and heading straight to the kitchen for a coffee cup of whole milk and a platter of Oreos. Sitting in the floor in front of the television, for a few minutes, I found my escape from the pressures of the day.


I find that as life becomes more stressful as an adult, I tend to revert to those things that brought me the simplest pleasure as a child to alleviate the pressure. Oreos. Old episodes of favorite television shows. A quiet afternoon with a light blanket (the grown-up version of a blanket fort!). Often I don't realize that I'm searching for that simple pleasure of childhood until the stress is gone and I'm totally relaxed.


How I wish I would learn to take time each day to enjoy the simple pleasures of childhood and continue to search out new pleasures that bring me joy, peace, and satisfaction.


Stopping to smell the roses,

Kennith

No comments:

Post a Comment