Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What To Do?

I've been asking myself this question for a couple of hours now. You see, I've made it to the final week of Music Camp and am absolutely exhausted. Imagine my surprise when my eyelids vaulted open this morning and I turned to the clock and saw these horrible numbers.......4:05!

I tossed and turned for about an hour, frantically trying to go back to sleep. Doesn't my brain take notice of the aches in my back and feet? Wouldn't a few more hours of sleep ease the stress and fatigue? The longer I tried to induce slumber to return, the more awake I became. Now my brain began to go to other places that I had tried to avoid.

"I have so much to do today--much of it I have avoided since I had other things with which to deal," I thought. Such meditations do not bring relaxation and a return to the land of dreams; rather, I found myself revisiting my to do list. I grabbed my trusty phone on the bedside table and started playing Bejeweled for a while (thanks a lot, Patsy!) and finally accepted the fact that Mr. Sandman was not coming back for another visit tonight.

Now it was time to make a decision--do I just lie here or do I try to do something important and productive? That's when I realized that I hadn't shared anything with you, my friends, in several days....so here I am! The sun is just beginning to come up through my bedroom window and I'm actually getting ready for the day. Feet and back are still sore--I anticipate a hearty dose of Advil in my future--and I'm looking forward to spending a few hours thinking about Beethoven later this morning.

So what's the answer to my question? What do I do when I feel overwhelmed and can't sleep? I take an escapist route by blogging about a day-in-the-life and then sit in bed and read for a while! It's not going to take things off of my to do list, but it will definitely take my mind off of things for a little while.

Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment