Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Reason Jesus Came -- and My Response

On Sunday morning, Pastor preached an anointed sermon entitled "Why Jesus Came" based upon the familiar passage in Luke 4:14-21. In verse 18 of this passage, Jesus reads from the writing of Isaiah and identifies five reasons he came:
  1. to save

  2. to anoint

  3. to heal our hearts

  4. to heal our bodies

  5. to deliver

As a Christian, I have personally experienced Christ's salvation. I have felt His anointing upon my life and have received healings of both my emotions and my body. After salvation, Jesus has brought deliverance to me from bondages (some of which I was unaware existed at the time) and continues to expose areas in which I need to have new levels of freedom.

In the days since hearing the sermon, my heart and mind have pondered a question: Now what? Christ has done amazing things in my life and I am eternally grateful for them. I have been taught since my salvation experience that my response to Christ's grace is living a life of service--one that brings glory and honor to Him. Still, that feels as though it's simply not enough. I'm not talking about trying to repay Jesus for His gift; the price is too high. I know I don't have to earn God's love and acceptance. I am confident in my role as His treasured child.

When I compare the depth of His sacrifice with my response, though, I have to wonder if there is a deeper level of service to which we are called. It's not a question of time commitment, but heart commitment. I don't necessarily mean going across the oceans and sharing the Gospel with those in foreign lands. (I must admit, however, that my relationship with the Woodward family, their work with Let's Start Talking, and Mark's blogs on short-term mission projects have challenged me recently to prayerfully consider this form of ministry. If you're not familiar with this amazing ministry, I encourage you to check out the websites linked above.)

As a child of God, I am now known as His disciple. In Matthew 28:19-20, Jesus gave His disciples some final instructions. This passage, commonly referred to as The Great Commission, simply tells the disciples of Jesus to "GO" into their world with the power of the Gospel. How many times each day do I encounter people who desperately need to be saved from the power of sin? Who in my world needs to experience the power of Christ's anointing and the hope that it brings? Numerous ones need to be healed of the emotional hurts of their past as well as the physical ailments they suffer. In this world of darkness, I daily cross paths with those who are in bondage as a result of their interactions with evil in various guises. I cannot bring salvation, anointing, healing, or deliverance, but I know the One who is all of that and so much more! May my life be an open invitation to a hurting world to come to know a loving Savior who wishes to completely transform their lives and allow them to experience living life to the FULL! (John 10:10)


No comments:

Post a Comment