Friday, June 4, 2010

More Than a Fable!


Last night, I watched The Invention of Lying with a friend. Quite honestly, it was not one of my better movie selections and I do not recommend it for viewing. However, it did raise an issue that has gotten my mind rolling this morning.


The basic premise of the film is that of a society in which lying is not a part of daily life. Everyone speaks the truth at all times--sometimes to the point of creating painfully awkward situations. Finally, the protagonist discovers that he is capable of telling a lie and that no one will question his truthfulness, despite evidence that points to the fact that he is lying. At this point, the premise is still funny before it takes a sharp turn that was disturbing in many ways.


The protagonist is called to the hospital where it is clear that his mother is dying. She shares her fears of the unknown and how scared she is in light of the doctors' truthful--yet terrifying--prognosis. Her son sits by her bed and determines to use his new-found ability to lie and weaves a story for her about an afterlife that is filled with happiness and the absence of pain and sorrow.


Word gets out to the public that the man knows what happens after death, so he spins a tale about the "Man in the Sky" who controls everything and ultimately promises everyone a mansion if they avoid doing more than three "bad things" in the course of their life. I think you are beginning to see where this is going.


While watching the film, I was struck by how effortlessly the screenwriters shifted from generic comedy to making a statement about faith and its absurdity. I don't think I have the words to effectively express how disturbing this cleverly disguised attack on faith and Christianity in general was.


As the characters learned that someone knew about the things that happen after death, the world basically stopped. Throngs of people flocked to the man's front lawn to get answers to their questions. News agencies prepared to broadcast his statement to the citizens of the world who sat with bated breath around their televisions and radios. When the "fable" is finally presented in a press conference, the man appears holding two tablets made from pizza boxes that hold the numbered, written messages from "The Man in the Sky" which were given to his earthly spokesman.


While the intention, I believe, was to suggest how gullible people are--willing to believe anything at all--I think another message was clearly stated. Humans innately know that there is more to life than just living here and they are hungry to know more about it. Mankind is constantly in pursuit of ultimate Truth. As a Christian, I have found that ultimate Truth in the person of Jesus Christ! What a privilege and life-changing realization this is!


What started as a discouraging attack on my faith has become a personal challenge. I know the Truth that a hurting world is longing to hear. How prepared am I to share the truth with them and introduce them to the One who is Truth? Can I effectively defend my faith against the arguments that it's all a fable, made up simply to ease the pain of daily living? It's time to realize that the job of sharing Truth is not one given only to vocational ministers, but is the responsibility (and privilege) of every believer. Do I have all the answers? Sadly, no. But I can live my life in the knowledge of Truth and prepare myself to answer the questions that arise in my world. What about you...will you accept the challenge today?

No comments:

Post a Comment