Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Book Review: The Unlikely Disciple


Slowly but surely, I am returning to my normal schedule of activities now that life is becoming less hectic. Even though I have been extremely busy for the past few weeks, I refused to give up my reading time. With the purchase of my Nook (which I am STILL loving, by the way), I stumbled upon a book I had been overlooking for some time: Kevin Roose's The Unlikely Disciple.

Roose is a student at Brown University who takes a sabbatical and transfers to Liberty University, what Roose himself refers to as "America's Holiest University." While at Liberty, Roose encounters educators and students who practice various "levels" of Christianity. Toward the end of his semester, Roose manages to schedule an interview with Liberty's president, Dr. Jerry Falwell. The interview will prove to be Falwell's final print interview before his death. The Unlikely Disciple provides a look into the premises of the Christian faith from a non-believer's perspective.

Many issues are examined by Roose while at Liberty, but three seem to dominate his time: creationism, homosexuality, and prayer. While Roose's discussions are sometimes quite frank (especially those of a sexual nature), it was interesting to hear the arguments against the Christian stance on these issues. Throughout the book, Roose finds himself at points of decision where it appears he may convert (much to the dismay of his parents). Sadly, Roose does not come to faith in Christ; however, some of his writing over the course of the semester are encouraging to the Christian reader.

After a intense discussion with one of Liberty's pastors about the effectiveness of prayer, Roose determines to commit himself to an extended period of daily prayer to see what will happen in his life. Roose explains the outcome:

By the time I've spent my day like this [in prayer], dredging up every person in my life who could possibly be undergoing any amount of hardship or strife and praying for their needs, a few things happen.

First, all my problems snap into perspective. Compared to a girl whose stepfather was in a mine accident or an old lady having her hip replaced, nothing in my life seems all that pressing. Instead of obsessing over the ... quiz I bombed or the parking ticket I got, I'm focusing more and more on people with real hardships. . . Eventually, I go back to worrying about my tiny problems - I can't help it - but for those thirty minutes, I'm at least going through the motions of compassion. (Roose, p. 218)

What an insight for a person who finally comes to the conclusion that "I'm still not totally settled on prayer...but for now, it doesn't seem to be hurting anyone, so I guess I'll keep at it. When I think of the benefits I'm reaping, a little cognitive dissonance seems like a small price to pay." (p. 219) When Christians begin to intercede for the needs of others, circumstances come sharply into focus and our lives are pulled into a proper perspective.

A bit more distressing is Roose's comments on Christian education as he prepares to leave Liberty. After asking some of his friends about things they wish they could change about their college experience, students repeatedly say that they would have liked to have been exposed to more worldviews rather than being sheltered from the "opposing views of the left." Roose comments

I've always known that I'll be leaving Liberty after this semester, which is why I think I've been so forgiving of Liberty's academic flaws. But Stubbs doesn't get to leave. Max Carter doesn't, either. For both of them - and the rest of my friends here - Liberty's institutional shortcomings are no minor business. This is their college education, and for their sakes, I can't help wishing that Liberty would purge itself of the attitude that education is an enemy of faith. (Roose, p. 242)

I was fortunate to attend Pepperdine University, a Christian institution that allowed and encouraged exploration of the world's many ideas. Sadly, many Christians find such academic pursuits ungodly and undesirable for Christian youth. Rather than viewing education as an enemy of faith, see the possibility that knowledge can become an ENHANCEMENT to faith. A person's faith grows as they can explain what they believe and WHY they believe. In order to fully explore what absolute Truth is, one must encounter non-Truth to some degree; only when we are able to identify what is a lie can we firmly declare with conviction that we have found Truth!

The Unlikely Disciple is certainly not a Christian work and should not be approached as such. I do recommend it for those interested in Christian higher education as well as those who have ever found themselves at a crisis of faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment