Friday, February 26, 2016

The Power of Persistence

Last night, I watched the Pioneers of WBU take on teams from Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU) in basketball matches. The women's game was an absolute blowout! The men's game was a lesson in persistence.

The men's game was hard fought throughout. The Pioneers were down at the half and by the closing minutes of the game things didn't look good for the men of WBU. Nothing seemed to be going right for our team. Despite their best efforts, the ball simply would not fall through the hoop. Easy shots that I had watched them make with ease at other games were just not finding the net. The only thing I can say is that it just wasn't their night. Still, the men pressed on to make the best of a tough situation.

As the game was beginning to wind down, the pep band and I had a clear revelation that there was a good chance the game would not end in time for us to make our weekly trip to the Donut Shop before their 10pm closing. The band had to break down their set up...and there were only a few minutes left in the game....so I decided to leave early and make a dash to get our donuts for the night. (Hey! When there's a decision between watching the final minutes of a basketball game and getting yummy donuts, is there really a choice to be made? Really?)

When the music students entered the building after the game, I knew that something had happened. There was excitement in the air and the fans could hardly contain themselves. The students began to tell me that in the final minutes of the game -- just after I left -- the tide turned and WBU sent the game into overtime. The Pioneers continued to rely on the things they had practiced and invested so much time in....and things began to pay off! The victory was decisive and Wayland outscored the Lions of SAGU 108-90.

Those of you who know me well are asking yourselves by now why I am even talking about a basketball game. (My Pepperdine friends are probably surprised that I even understand the basics of the game!) Here's why I was so inspired by last night's performance. I'm sure it was tempting at times for the men's basketball team to just shake their heads in frustration and give up. It would have been easy to say that things just weren't going their way and they would save their energy for a later game where they might have a better chance of winning. But they didn't....they pushed through the difficulties and ended up achieving success.

Whatever our individual pursuits, we all face difficulties in accomplishing tasks from time to time. We simply cannot find the correct words to use for the report. A musical passage seems beyond our grasp no matter how often we repeat it. The mountain of paperwork on the desk never diminishes. Successfully accomplishing the task seems hopeless. The Pioneers' game reminds us that persistence pays off. When we continue to take the steps that we know are required, we make progress. The progress may be minuscule, but it's a step in the right direction. Hard work and patience -- the essential elements of persistence -- always pay off in the end.

The Apostle Paul says this of persistence:
Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. (Phillippians 3:12-14, NASB)
Whatever our task today, let's reach higher and faithfully persist. The task will ultimately be accomplished and we will see the reward of our hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment