Monday, February 22, 2016

Hits and Misses (February 15-21)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • Most of my week has to do with music because it has been an incredibly busy week with Regional UILs taking up a large amount of my time. The University Interscholastic League hosts competitions in various disciplines for students across the state of Texas. Saturday was the solo and ensemble competition for instrumentalists. I was contracted by Plainview High School a few weeks ago to accompany students. I had no idea what was ahead, but I have to admit that the day was fun -- despite the long hours. Even better, I should be getting a pretty nice check for the 22 students I accompanied on Saturday. Money always makes hard work better.
  • In other news, I saw my piano students take the first of three piano proficiency exams this week. The first exam covered solo performance and sight reading (although that's not the best description of the test since students received the materials to prepare a week in advance of the exam). This was the first proficiency I had administered at WBU and I was anxious to see how my students would fare. I'm happy to report that all of them passed! *Whew!* Now on to the next one that comes in a few weeks.....
MISSES
  • In all of the craziness of this week's schedule, I've found myself asking "Where is my home?" I haven't gotten to spend a lot of time there and I'm looking forward to crashing on the couch for a few evenings....and actually doing some cleaning, too. *It's bad, folks.....it's really bad.....*
  • As much as I love working with other musicians, I actually despise when they stand me up for a scheduled rehearsal. I had blocked out several hours at Plainview High on Tuesday night. Students had signed up for rehearsals and it looked as though I would have a productive evening. While sitting there for nearly 2 hours, I rehearsed for only 20 minutes! I was livid! Since this was one of the few times I didn't have any reading material in my car, I was fairly grumpy for the entire night.
  • Spring Break is quickly approaching and I was planning to go back to Memphis for the week. I thought I would still have plenty of time to buy airline tickets since I am still a month out from the trip. Boy, was I wrong! Airline prices are through the roof right now. Wowzers! I had suggested to the Geriatrics a few weeks ago that they meet me in the Houston area for that week of vacation. That idea was quickly shot down, so I'm now looking for other options for Spring Break relaxation. I'm thinking it's time for a road trip with the compass pointing west. (But not THAT FAR west, guys.......just before you even ask!)

No comments:

Post a Comment