Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Square Donuts

Last week, I was introduced to the joys of the square donut here in Plainview. I had heard about the students' weekly donut runs for these amazing treats, but had not experienced them for myself. I was intrigued and finally decided to join the fun on Thursday night. The donuts were good; the experience was amazing.

Square donuts are sold by a small shop that I had passed many times while driving around town, but never noticed it was a bakery. The pastries are sold early in the mornings as you would expect -- but they are also available from 8-10 at night. Of course, college students are going to opt for the late night food run! The donuts were light and fluffy. Flavors of maple butter and warm glazed donuts were mouth-watering. Inexpensive donut holes were a treat to find as well. Where else can you buy a single donut hole?

While sitting in the drive-thru, I began to think the students' enthusiasm for donut night was just about the tradition. That opinion quickly changed when we returned to campus. Students piled in the hallway with their band director and that's when I witnessed the magic. Laughter and fun filled the air. As the night progressed, conversations took a more serious turn. What I witnessed was amazing! Students began to share their fears, hopes, and failures with their mentor who poured words of truth and Godly counsel into their lives. I quietly sat back and watched, fighting back tears as I silently interceded for the unexpected moment of ministry that was unfolding before my eyes. THIS is why I choose to work in a Christian institution. It's not about making money or having a prestigious position. It's not even completely about the music making...it's all about investing in the lives of young men and women who are seeking answers to life's challenges. It's all about sharing passion for Him with the next generation.

I certainly don't need to add more donuts to my diet or waistline, but now that I've witnessed the power of the Square Donut Run I plan to be visiting the bakery more often. And I'll continue looking for other opportunities to meet students where they are.....and do anything I can to point them to their loving Savior.

What an awesome privilege I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment