Monday, February 8, 2016

Hits and Misses (January 31 - February 6)

Here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • On Sunday morning, I played a piano solo for offertory at College Heights for the first time. Anyone that has heard me play in church for very long can guess which arrangement I pulled out of my back pocket -- Marilyn Ham's Great is Thy Faithfulness. I have to admit that I really enjoyed playing a solo in worship again. Throughout the week, I have received compliments from various people (most of whom I don't know) about how much they enjoyed the solo. I guess it's time to get to work on another solo hymn arrangement....
  • On Monday evening, I decided to treat myself to dinner at Cotton Patch. (I say this as though eating in a restaurant is an unusual event. It is probably more surprising when I actually eat at home.) Anyway, while sitting at my table, I looked across the room and saw Joe and Margaret Berry and was invited to join them for dinner. This precious couple are quickly becoming like family to me here in Plainview. Joe is the Music Minister at CHBC. It was refreshing to simply sit with good people and enjoy sharing a meal together.
  • On Tuesday evening, I played on the faculty clarinet recital with Dr. Sandra Mosteller. Together, we performed Schumann's Phantasiestucke and Poulenc's Sonate. I love both of these pieces, but I have a special fondness for all of Poulenc's repertoire. I was especially pleased with the sounds we made together in the French set. I'm looking forward to future collaboration with my colleagues. (I'll tell you about the next recital in next week's H&M!)
  • After the recital, I was happy to enjoy a calm day to do some solo practicing. As much as I love chamber music, I am loving having time to return to my roots and rehearse solo repertoire again. What was I playing? Much of this week's work was devoted to Mendelssohn's Song without Words, Op. 19, No. 5 and the last movement of Barber's Excursions. I think both of them will be programmed on my faculty recital next fall.
MISSES
  • At the very end of the day on Monday, we received word that there had been a threat made against the Plainview campus. Administration attempted to assure us that there was nothing to worry about, but the idea of a gunman or bomb -- we really had no idea what type of violence was threatened -- was disconcerting. I was sitting in the music office when the alert came out. The Plainview Children's Choir was rehearsing just across the hall. I hung around the building to help watch as we returned children safely to their parents. Since the Plainview Symphony Orchestra was rehearsing in the building, there were lots of strange faces coming in and out of the building. As of now, I know nothing else about the situation, but I have heard no reports of anything out of the ordinary occurring this week.
  • I'm sick of the cold temperatures! This has been the week to be bundled up. The weather reported a temperature of 19 when I left home one morning. This guy wasn't built to deal with such frosty conditions! I'm not ready for the summer heat wave either, but something between the two extremes will be greatly appreciated.
  • The first thing on my calendar on Wednesday mornings is a piano lesson. I shouldn't complain because it is scheduled to begin at 10:00am. However, the morning after a recital, the last thing I want is to arrive for a lesson for which the student never shows! Grrr! No email....no phone call....just a no show. Not how I wanted to start my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment