Monday, January 12, 2015

Hits and Misses (January 4-10)

Here's a look back at the week that was.....

HITS
  • All is right with the world now that Downton Abbey has returned to my life. I'm anxious to see what's going to happen in season 5.
  • Some cross stitch patterns and kits that I had ordered arrived this week. I don't always have a lot of time to devote to the craft, but it has definitely been fun to return to the calming rhythm of the needle going up and down through the material. I'm not in a position to post a photo of anything yet, but I hope to let you see my progress in a few weeks.
  • It feels good to finally begin to get things done now that the holidays are over. I pulled out my to-do lists and my daily index card this week. I still like the sense of accomplishment that comes from crossing things off of my list.
  • Dad and I made a return visit to the doctor when both hearing aids failed to work. I suspected that we were missing some important information since we were not able to go back for the follow-up visit.....you know, because he was in the hospital and all.....and that was exactly the case. I never would have imagined that a little ear wax under a filter would cause such expensive equipment to stop working. Now we know...
  • It's a blessing to share time with friends. We talked about life, memories, work, and dreams. I don't always get to stop in the middle of the week for a chat, but when I do, it turns out to be one of the highlights of the week.
  • I'm still on my Great Performances kick. This week, I thoroughly enjoyed watching American Voices with Renee Fleming on the Mississippi Broadcasting System. A very informative, insightful program that featured lots of great singing from multiple genres of American music.
MISSES
  • Round two of my battle with congestion continued this week. Thankfully, the doctor did not hear anything that suggested a chest infection. I'm treating the lingering congestion with OTC medications and more fluids. As the week began to wind down, I finally began to feel more like myself.
  • I struggled to decide if the cancellation of my night class at MSCC was actually a hit or miss. I finally opted to put it here because of all of the preparation that had gone into it and the loss of income that it will mean. I'm trying to keep my head up and hoping that another opportunity will present itself to replace the money I expected.
  • While I was at the doctor on Thursday, we decided to go ahead and do blood work. When the lab reports came in, most results were pretty good. My cholesterol continues to be a constant struggle to manage. It appears that I'm not able to manage these numbers with diet alone, so my daily dosage of medication was doubled. The doctor will check my progress in two months.
  • My online class is still moving ahead this semester, but the technology problems from last term are rearing their heads again. With the help of a member of the college's IT team, I moved the recorded lectures to this semester's website. By Friday afternoon (before the official start of classes), I had already received an email from a student telling me that some presentations worked while others did not. The funny/frustrating part? The ones that were working were the newest; those from last semester still are virtual nightmares. I guess I know where I will be while you are reading this post on Monday morning.
  • I love my piano students. They are fun and excited about learning. What drives me CRAZY is when a student arrives ten minutes late for their first 30-minute lesson and does not even offer an apology! Grrr! I really hope this student and I do not have a rocky experience in the months ahead.....
PROGRESS REPORT
At the end of the first full week of the New Year, I thought I'd like to add a new element to my weekly H&M post. Since I try to read on a consistent basis, I thought this would be a great place to give a weekly update on the progress of my reading life. You can continue to catch my complete book reviews on Reading for Me.
  • Professional Piano Teaching (Jeanine Jacobson) - p. 266 of 389
  • Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky) - p. 248 of 551
 

No comments:

Post a Comment