Friday, January 9, 2015

A View From Above

I love to fly. As soon as I boarded a plane for the first time as a teenager, I knew there was no other way to travel. Not only did I like the fact that I arrived at my destination much sooner, I also enjoyed looking at the earth from high above. Each time I find myself looking out the window of a jet, I am reminded of a few very important truths.

As I look out at the scenery, I am reminded just how small I am. As cars and people begin to look like ants and toys, I realize that my life is just a minuscule part of what is happening on planet Earth. Things that seem enormously important in my life are seen in a new light because I am suddenly aware of the fact that there is a much bigger picture. The world does not stop turning just because of my problems. Truthfully, much of the world is completely unaware of my existence -- much less the challenging issues I face daily.

While this can seem like a very negative view of the world and life at first, I have to go a step farther and notice the immense patchwork art that I see from the Master Artist's perspective. Even though I am a small part of the overall masterpiece, I take great comfort in the realization that the One who formed this work of art sees me as an essential part of His plan and is lovingly aware of my life. While I am focused on the immediate circumstances, He sees the bigger picture that is taking shape as I am morphed by my current situation. My challenge becomes determining if I will choose to focus on my limited perspective or trust the bird's eye view of the Master Artist as He carefully creates another masterpiece out of me.

Next time the stress of daily life hits you hard, take a moment to hop on a jet plane in your mind's eye and grab a peek at the big picture He is forming for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment