Monday, January 5, 2015

Hits and Misses (December 28 - January 3)

Here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • After I finally found the restaurant, I thoroughly enjoyed Sunday brunch at the Arcade in downtown Memphis. The eggs, biscuits, and gravy were astounding; the pile of country ham was a little overwhelming, but still quite tasty.
  • Because of Dad's surgery this year and my own issues with chest discomfort over the past few years, I finally went to see a cardiologist on Monday. The initial report is that everything is fine. To be on the safe side, however, Dr. Kraus wants to run a stress test later this month.
  • What better way to celebrate a good report from the doctor than lunch at Mellow Mushroom? Probably not a heart-healthy meal, but the BBQ chicken pizza was great.
  • To celebrate the end of 2014, I treated myself to a much-needed massage at Massage Envy. Giving myself the gift of a membership was one of the smartest decisions I made this year. 
  • The rest of the geriatric ward went to bed early on the 31st, so I was left alone in the living room to watch Great Performances on PBS. The episode featured scenes from the Metropolitan Opera's productions that have been part of their Live in HD broadcasts. It was such fun to hear great singing and to remember the performances that I have seen in movie theaters. I still hope to make a trip to NYC during the season to catch a performance live.
  • On Saturday evening, I acted on a whim and went to hear The Talley Trio in concert at Cornerstone Baptist in West Memphis. I've grown up listening to the Talleys and have always loved their harmony. While I missed Kirk's voice, I was pleasantly surprised by the energy that Lauren brings to the group.
MISSES
  • It has been cold this week! I don't like cold weather at all. Sadly, it doesn't look as though things are going to get better any time soon in that department.
  • Trying to listen to classical recordings on my car stereo is a frustrating experience. I'm sure it was funny to those driving around me as I nearly jumped out of my seat when the orchestra's fortissimo entrance surprised me. Oh well.....lesson learned for now.
  • After celebrating New Year's Eve, I woke in the night with a stomach bug that knocked me off of my feet. While my family enjoyed lunch together, I was nursing a bowl of chicken noodle soup. I was glad when my sick stomach finally went away on Friday.
  •  After watching Great Performances, I decided to visit the PBS website to see if I could find out when the next opera would be airing. The website and its programming schedule should be entitled "Adventures in Frustration." It took 30 minutes to convince the site that I watched the Memphis station even though I live in Arkansas. Ugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment