Monday, November 17, 2014

Hits and Misses (November 9-15)

Once again, here's a look back at the week that was....

HITS
  • This week had two more successful concerts. I survived my ride on the Ghost Train on Tuesday night, despite feeling less than wonderful. Friday night saw a wonderful senior recital with Hillarie Henderson. I especially enjoyed getting to perform "Ain't It a Pretty Night" from Susannah.
  • The week also featured several opportunities to have honest conversations that were long overdue.  Nothing too stressful here, but some observations that needed to be shared. I was happy to be able to get some things off of my chest and that they were received in the spirit they were given.
  • On Saturday, my family celebrated Dad's 78th birthday together. It was a simple dinner at Olive Garden that was made more special because of Dad's great recovery from his heart surgery. The only thing that might have made the evening more perfect was if we felt a bit better.
  • It looks as though some future opportunities are heading my way that might make my life a little easier. Final details haven't been worked out, so I'm not at a point that I can share specifics yet. It looks as though I will get to increase the number of piano students I am currently teaching....and that's a good thing.
MISSES
  • I have been sick much of the week. What began as jet lag on Monday turned into a nasty stomach virus on Tuesday. As the week progressed, I began to experience sinus problems that have simply sapped me of my energy. The only thing I want to do right now is crawl in bed and sleep for a few days!
  • Winter weather made an early appearance in the Memphis area this week. On Thursday, I
    crawled out of bed to learn that the interstate was icy and almost impassable. I don't enjoy driving in any type of precipitation, but I definitely don't like snow and ice.  I'm just hoping that the fact that the first storm came through in early November doesn't mean that we are going to have a rough winter around here.
  • I get really irritated when other people's lack of preparation negatively impacts me. I tend to be patient when students are slow to get music to me. When it gets close to performance time, however, my patience wanes. When my patience is gone, tactfulness is replaced by blunt truth. Your feelings might get hurt, but you need to know that your lack of preparation is effecting me.
  • I hate when people find it necessary to make derogatory remarks that are hurtful and mean spirited. An anonymous person left a comment on a recent blog post that was prejudicial and cruel. While I welcome open conversation about issues and will permit comments that present a different point of view from my own, I will not allow anyone to use Livin' Life as a means of spreading hate and rage. Thankfully, I was advised to moderate all comments on my blog long ago to protect against just such things. I am happy to say that I was the only one who saw the posted comment and have since removed it from the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment