Friday, November 14, 2014

Common Sense

As the results of the recent mid-term elections rolled in, I shook my head as people began to question the common sense of voters. "I can't believe the amendment was passed. I thought our voters had more common sense." Why is it that the intellect and rationality of others are always called into question by the Left when things do not go according to their plans? Why do liberals think they are the exclusive owners of "common sense?"

I will be the first to admit that there are conservatives who do not always make choices based in thoughtful consideration of the issues. However, there are also liberals that are guilty of the same thing! Can we not just accept the fact that differing opinions and interpretations of facts can lead to opposing views that are clearly reasoned?

Many conservatives are accused of being small-minded or irrational because they are influenced by a strong moral code that is grounded in a personal faith. This does not mean that I am ignoring the facts. It means I am considering the facts from the perspective of my convictions. My faith does not mean that I am living in the past; I suggest that I am choosing a way of life that has proven itself stable for centuries.

I don't ask you to agree with my politics. I do ask you to respect my right to freely express my thoughts without fear of attack. Despite our personal politics, I believe that most voters are pursuing the same goal -- making our world a better place. When we keep the goal as the main objective, I think we can find our commonalities and work together. That leads to the best possible outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment