Monday, November 3, 2014

Hits and Misses (October 26 - November 1)

Here's my weekly look back at the week that was.

HITS
  • Sunday got off to a good start. I enjoyed playing for the morning service at First Marion and followed that with a successful presentation of the high school cabaret production.
  • Music for the rest of the week was thrilling as well. Another recital hearing was successful (despite our surprise at singing both arias). Accompanying the men's choir at the Fall choral concert went better than expected. 
  • Despite my slow movements by the end of the week, it was great to spend an hour on the phone with a friend on Friday night. We were productive and also just got to be silly for a bit -- definitely a change of pace! I can't wait for lots more fun when I'm visiting LA this week.
MISSES
  • There's nothing quite like playing for a worship service when you realize that the worship leader is not in the same key that you are in! Yep, it happened. Yep, it was the most frightening 20 seconds I've experienced in a while. Yep, we recovered and made it through without too much disruption to the overall service.
  • I know I'm getting older. I don't need my body to remind me of that on a regular basis. However, my body decided to re-enforce that message on Thursday night when I twisted my back on my way to the stage for the choral concert. I didn't notice it until after I had played (thankfully!), but quickly knew that I was going to have to lie down for a while. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I do know that it forced me to slow down a bit for the rest of the week.
  • My online class has become the bane of my existence at the moment. I think they only permitted absolute idiots to enroll in the class. My frustration continues as the process of getting material uploaded to the course is a multi-level endeavor. I mean, come on! Heaven and Earth were created in only 7 days! This process is ridiculous. At this point, I'm simply trying to get through so I can claim to have taught the material....effectiveness of instruction is secondary.
  • It was a quiet Halloween here in Crawfordsville. Even though I didn't want to really mess with the goblins this year, I did miss seeing the costumes. I suppose I can't have my cake and eat it too.....so I may have to consider this a hit instead......
There you have it. Be good and don't forget to be thankful this November!

No comments:

Post a Comment