Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Buffets

My family knows that I despise eating at a buffet or cafeteria. Potluck dinners can be just as difficult for me. I find the food often becomes stale and unappetizing. My mind imagines the hands that have touched the serving utensils. I start to wonder when those hands were last washed. The scenario just goes downhill from there.

Imagine my surprise when I recently found myself visiting a buffet while traveling alone. I had heard about The Old Country Store in Jackson, Tennessee, and decided to check it out. I knew they were known for their breakfast buffet, but planned to order from the menu. Was I in for a shock when I learned there was NO menu from which to order!

Thankfully, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the breakfast buffet was actually quite satisfying. The biscuits were extremely light and fluffy, a perfect complement to the sausage gravy. The fried chicken was pretty good as well, but just not what I was expecting for breakfast. Luckily, I did not discover the pastry bar until the end of my meal. The blueberry bread was AH-MAH-ZING!!! A serving of that alone was worth the price of the buffet.

I haven't changed my mind about buffets, but I have discovered that it is possible to enjoy them occasionally. It's all a matter of atmosphere and my mindset at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment