Friday, November 28, 2014

What a Mess

Happy day after Thanksgiving! I am still stuffed from all the good food consumed around the family table yesterday. While I had a blast preparing and cooking the food, I DESPISE cleaning up the mess (which is why I rarely do that job!). On Wednesday evening, the kitchen looked like a disaster area.

I behave in the kitchen very much like my mother. After all, she's the one who taught me everything I know about cooking. When we bake together, we have several recipes going at once. All of the ingredients are scattered around and counter space is cluttered with various mixing bowls, whisks, and measuring cups. We acknowledge that it is best to clean up as you go along, but our modus operandi tends to be one of piling things in the sink with the intention of cleaning them later. Before very long, every dish in the kitchen cabinets has made its way to the sink! It's really a mess that no one wants to deal with.

Somehow, Mom convinced my family that the one who cooks doesn't do the cleaning! That job is left for the eaters. That means on most evenings, you'll find me in the kitchen with Mom preparing dinner. Afterwards, Pop makes his way to the kitchen and begins cleaning up our mess. It's funny to hear him complain constantly about how every pan in the kitchen ends up in the sink when we cook. Even though he "complains" a bit, we know that he doesn't mind contributing....as long as the food is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment