Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Just Learn to Speak English Already!

America is often referred to as The Great Melting Pot. Immigrants from all over the world have made their way here throughout history for various reasons. Some have come to find a better life. Others have come in an effort to escape evil political regimes, religious persecution, or the chains of slavery. As a nation, many take great pride in the desire people have to come to our shores...as long as they are willing to conform to our vision of the American way of life.

Recently, I read The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout. The story centers on a hostile act against a group of Somali immigrants in Maine. The horrendous act? A pig's head was thrown into a mosque by a local teen. The act was offensive to their religious and ethnic backgrounds on multiple levels. As the backlash escalates, one of the major complaints against the Somalis is that they don't speak English. They don't speak "our" language.

I realize that this is a hot button issue for many. I must admit that I have been frustrated when encountering people with which I could not communicate. As I read Strout's depiction of the Somalis, I began to consider things from a new perspective.

From first hand experience, I can tell you that learning a language does not come naturally to everyone. In college, I studied German. I made flashcards. I went to the language lab. I got a tutor. I did not learn to speak the language. It was not due to a lack of effort. It wasn't because I lacked the desire. Some said I just needed to devote more time; my problem was that there was no more time to give as the other areas of my life kept moving on.

As I reflected on my own experience, I began to think about the challenges facing immigrants. For many of the adults, they are trying to provide for their family the best they can in a foreign environment. When you are worried about providing food, clothing and shelter for those you love, learning a new language is not a top priority. For those immigrants with children, they are more focused on educating their children in order to ensure they have a better chance at the American Dream. Because these students are living a bilingual life, the demand for bilingual education is at an all-time high.

I don't claim to have any of the solutions. I agree that English language skills are an important skill set that is needed to prosper in mainstream America. I'm not suggesting that everything in our country be published in multiple languages. (However, if communication with the masses is our ultimate goal, what's the harm?) What I am suggesting is that the next time you hear another language spoken in your community, don't assume the person speaking is lazy, uneducated, or unappreciative of their American experience. The truth is that many who so quickly jump to judgment may never fully understand the challenges the immigrants are facing. A little compassion can go a very long way in aiding communication with another despite the presence of language barriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment