Friday, August 22, 2014

Fear of the Empty Page

Perhaps one of the most intimidating things for any writer is a blank page. The emptiness holds such potential. The possibilities are limitless. Still, as we recognize the power of the written word, we don't want to waste this opportunity. Authors want their words to matter. The hope is that what is written will impact an unknown reader, resulting in a smile, a tear, or consideration of a new perspective.

Does anyone truly hold the writer to such high expectations? Most readers will only take a cursory look at the words we have crafted. Still, we place immense pressure on ourselves to clearly convey our thoughts. We don't want to misrepresent ourselves. We know that for a few brief moments, we will have our reader's attention. Our writing has an opportunity to impact another person's life beyond the ability of our spoken word.

If writing fills us with such trepidation at the thought of the great responsibility, why continue? Personally, I continue because the words are transforming me. As I face the empty page, I am forced to think deeply and pour out my experiences to be shared with others. The exciting part of the process is when I am able to look at the experience objectively on the page, I begin to discover some of the life lessons I missed while simply livin' life. The writing becomes a personal log of experiences, successes, failures, fears, and hopes that I can carry beyond my failing memory.

So I'll continue to stand before the blank page. I'll keep searching for the story in my heart that's longing to be told. And I'll keep learning lessons about myself along the way. You're invited to join me on this journey of discovery any time you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment