Monday, August 4, 2014

Hits and Misses (July 27 - August 2)

This week has been all about recovering from vacation and enjoying the last few days of summer. Here's a look back at the week that was.

HITS

  • I'm gearing up for the fall semester and that means it is time to get some practicing in! Regardless of how much work it is, I really do enjoy getting to work out new pieces at the piano. This week has included a lot of time spent with songs by Barber and Rorem as well as the first act of The Magic Flute. I don't have things totally under my hands yet, but I'm much closer than I was last week!
  • I've also enjoyed plenty of time to read again this week. I always have a good book at hand, but this week I also got to dive into some magazines as well. Time has taken up most of my reading, but I also discovered American History this week. I've never been a true reader of periodicals, but I'm finding that it's interesting to dive into these short, thought-provoking articles. Look for the first influence of my reading in Friday's post....
  • Because I tend to travel for work and pleasure quite a bit, I have racked up a solid number of hotel loyalty points. That means I'm able to escape for a few days again this week (this time without the Geriatric Patients) and just catch my breath before things get moving full steam ahead in a few weeks.
MISSES
  • It's never fun when scheduling conflicts arise. It seems to be even worse when the conflict impacts your income. This week, I learned that classes I was scheduled to teach at MSCC and Union were offered on the same mornings. It was not an easy decision to make since I knew I wouldn't be able to fulfill one of the commitments. Ultimately, I decided to continue teaching class piano at Union during the day; I'll teach the night and online sections of music appreciation in West Memphis. It appears that it will be another financial hit for me, but I'm trusting that everything is going to work out for my good in all circumstances.
  • I've suffered with a stiff neck most of the week. I guess I'm sleeping in a position that puts pressure on it. I've seen a massage therapist this week, but I'm still really tight. The plan is to have another massage while I'm out of town.
  • My car is filthy! The exterior doesn't look too bad, but the inside needs help. It's simply been too hot to deal with it, I've been lazy, and I can't afford to have it detailed. So I'll live with the mess for a little while longer.
There you have it.  Hope you have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment