Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Disney's Frozen

I finally got around to checking out Disney's Frozen in theaters last weekend. I suppose I had avoided seeing the film because I revere the animated features that were released during my undergraduate days:  Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King. While I have been entertained by many of the recently released films, the newer pieces rarely seem to measure up with the greatness of these animated classics.

Thankfully, Frozen easily held its ground and showed that Disney Studios can still produce the best in animated features. The story, based on a tale by Hans Christian Anderson, reminded me of the basic plot of the musical Wicked. Perhaps this connection was strengthened by the appearance of Idina Menzel as Queen Elsa.  While the story was powerful and the animation was beautiful, what grabbed my attention was the stupendous musical score that accompanied the film.

While the highlight of the film was easily Menzel's rendition of "Let It Go," I was also pleased with the opening musical sequence that had lots in common with Belle's opening in Beauty and the Beast. I was also pleased to hear that Kristin Bell as the voice of Anna was able to hold her own against the power of Menzel's voice. The two blended beautifully in "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" and "For the First Time in Forever." The only disappointing voice for me in the film was that of Santino Fontana as Hans. I found the sound to be unbelievable and far from "princely."

I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone who has yet to see the film, but I will say this…..if you are looking for an animated feature that is filled with great music and amazing animation with a strong message about the power of love (and a hint of Disney magic!), Frozen is well worth your time! (You'll want to see it on the big screen, for sure.)  So head to the theater TODAY and check out the magic and fun that is Frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment