Monday, February 3, 2014

Hits and Misses (January 26-February 1)

What a week! Despite fighting sinusitis and bronchitis (not something I recommend trying), it's been mostly positive. Here's a look at the week that was.

HITS

  • Nothing makes a sick body feel better than a warm bowl of soup. This week, my family tried out a new recipe for Tomato and Basil soup and the results were really nice. We're looking forward to repeating it this winter; we're planning to try a pumpkin soup recipe very soon.
  • It was great to begin a new semester of teaching and playing at Union University this week. I really enjoy my work there.  It's going to be a very busy term though. I am teaching two classes and have lots of recitals…….actually, it's 3 senior recitals and 4 junior recitals. March is going to be busy and also a lot of fun.
  • Since I've been sick, I've slacked off on my diet quite a bit. I couldn't make myself stay as disciplined as I needed to when I wasn't feeling well. Imagine my surprise when I put on my favorite pair of jeans Saturday morning to discover that they were hanging onto my hips! I looked like a grown man impersonating a thug. Thank Heavens for a strong belt to hold my pants up…..and the good news that the diet and exercise are working.
MISSES
  • Regular sleep has been difficult to come by this week. If I was able to breathe, I was coughing. When I finally found a position at night that would quiet the cough, I couldn't breathe at all. I was a hot mess for much of the week.
  • Even though I was sick, the show had to go on! MSCC has a policy that says classes are never cancelled. Since I felt like crap, my choices were to push through it and teach my classes OR exert a ton of energy to develop a lesson that a non-musician could lead. I understand the logic behind the policy, but it's really crappy when you're in the situation. C'est la vie!
I told you it has been a good week…..spent lots of hours napping on the couch or coughing up a lung. That's why there's not very much to report. Glad to say that I am on the road to recovery and expect that things will start hopping again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment