Thursday, February 13, 2014

When Faith Meets Tragedy

Difficulties come into the lives of all people. Tragedy is inevitable. As Christians, our faith is based on a hope that God in Heaven is actively at work in the lives of humans and that He acts based on His unfailing love for us. Tragedy often strikes suddenly and unexpectedly. In these times of trial, our faith can either be shaken or provide an unexplainable source of stability in spite of the trouble.

Yesterday was a tragic day for the music department at Union University. A student vocalist was found dead in her car early Wednesday morning. When I heard the news late yesterday morning, I was filled with questions. What had happened? Why did it happen? No answers were clear. I had been in rehearsal with the student less than 24 hours prior. I began to reflect on my last interaction with her. Did I display kindness? Were there warnings of trouble in her life that I somehow missed? Was there anything that anyone could have done?

As the day progressed, I was strengthened by the response of music students at Union. During what was certainly a troubling time for this close-knit group, they were turning to the promises of God's Word to find encouragement, strength, and peace. One verse resounded throughout their posts on social media; I later learned that the verse had been read on Wednesday morning when the news of the tragedy was shared with the entire department. The Scripture states that  "The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; He delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Psalm 34:17-18, NIV)  How comforting it is to realize that when we are crushed, broken, and troubled, we have a God who hears our cries, cares about our pain, and moves to bring healing to our souls! When tragedy strikes, our Heavenly Father is intimately aware of our hurts and questions; we are not alone in our difficult times. He promises to be with us in the midst of our pain.

I am certain that questions will abound in the hearts of the Union family in the coming days and weeks. Some answers will never be known. I'm thankful that when answers aren't present or they are simply insufficient, our Savior is THE answer to all of our most pressing questions. As I have tried to wrap my mind around the horror of yesterday and find appropriate words to pray for all those who are suffering right now, the words of Hillsong's Still seem to be the most appropriate.

Find rest, my soul, in Christ alone.
Know His power in quietness and trust.

When the oceans rise and thunders roar,
I will soar with You above the storm.
Father, You are King over the flood,
I will be still and know You are God.


No comments:

Post a Comment