Monday, February 24, 2014

Hits and Misses (February 16-22)

What a week! It's been filled with laughter and tears. Here's a look back…

HITS

  • After a very sad start to the week, I was able to attend a concert by the University of Memphis Symphony Orchestra. The concerto winners were incredibly talented and the music was beautiful. It was a needed respite in the midst of a stormy few days.
  • The Olympic Games had their final week of competition in Sochi, Russia. I didn't get to catch as many of the competitions as I would have liked, but I did enjoy all of the winter sports. I really enjoyed watching the hockey and bobsledding competitions. It's still on my bucket list to attend an Olympic Games in person. I enjoy the Winter Games more, but I think I'd enjoy the locales of the Summer Games more.
  • It's always a good feeling to participate in a recital hearing that goes smoothly. Even though there were some logistical glitches with scheduling, the singing itself was successful. I look forward to playing the first of my programs for the semester on March 7.
  • Saturday evening's performance by the Memphis Symphony was great! The performance of the Brahms Requiem was astounding and the soloists were flawless. The night was made better by running into a couple of colleagues from graduate school. It was so nice to catch up again.
MISSES
  • It was difficult resuming classes at Union University after the tragic events of last week. Grief is a process that students, staff, and faculty are walking through together. I am thankful that things are getting better with each passing day, but it has been an emotionally draining week.
  • Anyone who makes purchases online knows that there is a possibility that their financial information will be compromised. It happened to me late last week. I have an amazing bank that alerted me to the unusual transactions very quickly and we were able to stop most of the charges before they hit my account. I spent much of the week watching my bank account, waiting for the fraudulent charges to finally post in order to file an affidavit. The process wasn't that difficult, but it certainly is a pain in the bumpkus.
  • I hate the way my hair feels after a haircut! It's much more manageable at the moment, but it feels like coarse broom bristles! Fortunately, I'm the only one running my fingers through it at the moment…..otherwise, I would be horribly embarrassed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment