Friday, February 28, 2014

Movie Reviews: The Butler and Now You See Me

Last weekend, I enjoyed some down time and caught up on a couple of movies I had wanted to see for quite a while. I enjoyed both films for very different reasons.

The Butler told the story of one man who escaped the racism of the South to ultimately become a member of the White House staff. The film was a powerful history lesson through the eyes of those who silently watched behind the scenes. I especially enjoyed the depiction of the Civil Rights era and the butler's relationship with President Kennedy. As the story progressed into the 21st century, I felt as though the film became a decidedly political piece. I wasn't offended by the inclusion of Obama's presidency, but I did find it beyond the scope of the movie's basic plot. Honestly, I think The Butler would have been a much more powerful film if it had ended with the lead character's retirement from the White House.



On a completely different plane was Now You See Me. The film tells the story of four magicians who join forces to rob banks during their shows. The cast was spectacular, the effects were amazing, and the film was really fun to watch. I thought I was in for a puff piece when I rented the DVD; I found that the story had been carefully crafted, producing a very enjoyable afternoon. Make sure that you don't miss out on this little gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment