Monday, November 11, 2013

Hits and Misses (November 3-9)

What a crazy, busy week it has been! There's a lot to tell (and a lot to share later). So here goes.....a look at the week that was.

HITS

  • After Sunday morning service, I decided to head to Mud Island for brunch at Tug's Bar and Grill. Great food and a really reasonable price. It's always fun to try new places and have new experiences.
  • I'm not sure if it's a hit or a miss, but it's always nice to learn that people that annoy you are annoyances to many, many other people. I feel sorry for them...but also vindicated.
  • This week was filled with lots of visits with friends. Before heading to the airport on Wednesday, I headed to Abundant Grace Ministries to visit with the pastor for the first time since my resignation. It was great to catch up with my friend without any awkward feelings. Once I arrived in Los Angeles, I was able to meet friends in a park overlooking the ocean to share a breakfast picnic, laugh, and watch the sunrise together. After finishing all of my responsibilities for the week, I hopped in a car with four friends and headed up to the mountains for a weekend of rest. Once we got to the cabin, I sat around and played cards when I wasn't catching up with friends or having meals together.
  • While driving up to the mountains, I got a text message from one of my college fraternity brothers, Jon Jones. Even though we don't get to see each other very often, when we do talk it is as though we are just picking up where we left off.
  • Because I was seeing so many friends over the long weekend, I was reminded of the power and importance of warm hugs between friends. Sometimes there are emotions that need to be expressed that words cannot contain. Even though I'm normally not a big hugger, I soaked it up this week and was so energized and certain just how much I am loved.

MISSES

  • Since I was leaving on Wednesday afternoon, I had to cram a lot of work into 2 1/2 days. Monday was a long day filled with a lot of rehearsals. It wouldn't have been too bad since Tuesday was a day off from Union; instead, I wasted my time sitting through workshops that were not very productive.
  • I'm still learning just how expensive a trip to the emergency room can be. Thankfully I am able to pay (slowly but surely) and the creditors have been very willing to set up payment plans.
  • Just before leaving, I administered an exam that I had warned the students about for several weeks. They obviously did not study for it since the grades were abysmal. Their complaint was that the exam was different from prior formats and that I didn't cover everything in my review session. Really? These people need to decide whether or not they really want to be in college and actually do the work.
  • I love to travel, but it's not always the easiest thing ever. My flight to Los Angeles was extremely turbulant and I immediately knew I was going to struggle with changing time zones this trip. I was worn out before I even got started!
  • I suffered with lots of achy knees and feet on this trip too. I guess it's part of the aging process, but I still don't have to like it.
  • I hate when secrets are revealed! If you are told something that is not supposed to be repeated, simply keep your mouth shut. How is that difficult?
  • Good attitudes go a long way toward correcting mistakes. The worse situation is making a mistake and refusing to admit that you are responsible for the failure to some degree. Take responsibility, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment